cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning of production server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have SAP BO XI.3.1 SR-6 installed on our prod server. We got temporary license of SAP BO XI 3.1 SR6.Our metadata stored into SQL Server .We want to replicate/clone of our production environment into different machine.Please let me know the below steps are ok or not.

** Assume we have new machine to install and configure.

DB-

1. Install SQL server into new machine.

2. Create user for auditing and repository

3. Copy meta data(schema) from prod to new server repository schema

Application-

1. Install SAP BO XI 3.1 SR 6

2. Copy file repository from production to new server location.

3. Configure repository(meta data) server name(need to point DB Point 3)

4. configure file repository location from CMC (Point to Application- point 2)

Please let me know if i missed anything.

If i copy file repository and metadata then i think all the users in production will be able to connect into clone machine.

Please let me if any privilege /steps are missing.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

please tell us first what you want to achieve. Why do you want to clone your Productive Environment?

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going to implement SR 7 patch on the server. Just for information i have shared this kind of post earlier.

We can't directly apply patch on the server so we are creating test lab for sap BO XI 3.1 SR6 and apply SR7 patch on that.

Please help

0 Kudos

Hello,

Ok so in that case you should proceed as follows:

1. Install a new Environment in your Target Release BOE XI 3.1 SP7

2. Configure the Environment to your needs

2. Use the Import Wizard from the BOE XI 3.1 SP7 Environment to transport all the content from your BOE XI 3.1 SP6 Environment to your Target BOE XI 3.1 SP7 Environment.

If you are using LifeCycle Manager you can also use this to transport the content.

Regards

-Seb.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestion really appreciate it.

But at first i need to install the SP6 and migrate all the reports/security on that then only i can apply SR7 patch on that.

Sorry i forgot to mention "Both the environments are different network"

I think you are trying to mention Biar file backup( import wizard).

I have few queries so for that I need your valuable suggestion-

a) Will it automatically migrate the metadata into new server(SQL DB information and Hard copy of the application)?

b) Is it required copy the file store manually to the new server location?

I think as per your suggestion Import wizard will help for this.

c)We have repository database and audit database. Is it required to copy the audit database into new sql server(new schema).

Again thanks for your help

0 Kudos

Hi Anutosh,

I feel that below steps would be quick and would require less man hours.

1. Install the default installation of the BOE XI 3.1 SP6 on your desired CMS DB

2. Take the DB dump and Copy over the File-store,restore to the sandbox environment

3. Point the SIA to this DB

4. Change the clustername

5. Add node with a different node name

6. Remove the old server definitions from the CMC

7. Remove the old sia entry from DB using

delete from CMS_Infoobjects6 where objectid='id'

Where "id", could be acquired from the CMC>> Servers>> node>> SIA,properties

8. Patch Sp7, test the SP7 patch.

-Guru

0 Kudos

Hello,

so they dont have a direct connectivity in between? If this is the case you should work with the BIAR File.

And yes, if you also want to test the update process, install the new environment also in the release BOE XI 3.1 SP6.

a) it will create new Metadata entries as you import the content

b) No

c) If you wish to re- use them in the new Environment yes.

An alternative would be you use the CCM to copy the CMS DB from old to new and afterwards use the "Update Objects" function to synchronise the repository with the new information from the new Server name. For this scenario check the BOE XI 3.1 Admin Guide on Page 198.

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31SP3/en/xi31_sp3_bip_admin_en.pdf

Do not "dump" the CMS DB from one DB and import it into another DB and expect anything will work. A lot of manually effor has to be come into account afterwards.

Regards

-Seb.

0 Kudos

Well i forgot to mention, DB restoration needs DBA expertise as they have to set the appropriate auto-growth, indexing , transaction logs etc.

Setting up clone environment with the help of Import wizard defies the purpose of Cloning. Instead it could setup similar environment but not identical(clone).

A good level of cloning is achieved with CMS Db and FRS migration.

CCM>> Copy data to another data source option is possible only for Live-to-Live setup. I could understand that there is a network gap.

Moreover BIAR is best if the Data to be moved is countable, for a Full system copy, DB-FRS restoration is the best option.

-Guru

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Guru....Thanks for your help