cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has SAP got plans to support Microsoft Server PDW as reporting backend for Webi / crystal /dashboards or any reporting tool of SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

Our organisation is planning to switch to Microsoft PDW from the existing backend Teradata.

I searched many articles to know whether Microsoft PDW is supported by SAP Business Objects or not. However I have not been successful in obtaining any useful information about the same.

I couldn't check the latest PAM till now. Will check it tomorrow morning. However the last PAM of SAP BI 4.1 (base pack) did not had mention of PDW support as backend for webi reporting or any type of SAP reporting.

I was successful in getting a blog post in microsoft forums which mentioned availability of PDW connectors with SAP Business Objects

Parallel Data Warehouse Adds Connection to BI Tools for Informatica, SAP Business Objects - US ISV ...

Its a single line mention in the blog, so read the blog carefully

I am raising this query to know from SAP members whether there are any plans of support availability for Microsoft PDW in upcoming Support Packages of SAP BI 4.1.

Please assist.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Got my answers.

To keep everyone updated. SAP supports Microsoft PDW 2012 version in BI 4.1 SP4 onwards.

The support is only available for Single source universes and not for multi-source universe.

Interestingly, SAP PAM does not provide details on whether the support is available only for UNV or UNX.

I am assuming that when they mention about windows 64-bit column in PAM, they mean support for UNX.

@SAP Members: Please help me know whether my understanding is correct.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

yeah i think that's right - 64-bit would imply server-side processing by the 64-bit Connection Server (inc. DSL bridge)  so that would be the UNX, yes

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Henry for this update.

Regards,

Arvind

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arvind and Henry,

I am working with a Business Objects customer who is in the process of migrating their Data Warehouse across to Microsoft APS. As part of their migration they plan to change their BO Universes to point at the APS database instance (there is rework expected due to the reduced T-SQL syntax supported by APS).

During testing with BO (Build 1544; Product version 14.0.10) and APS AU3, we encountered an error with retrieving table metadata in the data foundation layer. Cursors are used by BO to retrieve the table metadata and cursor functionality is not supported by APS. 

Could you confirm whether this issue has been addressed in a newer version of Business Objects, and if so, what version?

Kind regards,

Jean

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jean

Where you able to resolve the metadata (column) issue.  We are running into the same issue and have tried multiple versions of the SQL Server driver.  Believe it is caused by lack of support for cursors.

Thanks

David