Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create sub-client with in SAP production (PRD) client

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Is is possible to create sub client with in SAP production client?

The question came to mind is that if I am the father company of two child/sub companies and both these function under my company and the users of all the companies will have different SAP log in . But, I can I create a Main PRD client say 'PRD L1 and under this client I create PRD L2 and PRD L3.

Is that possible and seems logical?

Thanks & Regards

Saurabh

12 REPLIES 12

former_member298454
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Saurabh,

One SAP system can have multiple clients .

User data source is client dependent. Though if you set up 3 clients (L1,L2,L3 ) in single SAP system,  You have to manage the users individually in each client.

else, make use of CUA concept where you can do user administration in CUA client for L1,L2,L3 altogether.

However employees(users)  need to log in to thier respetive client L1 or L2 or L3.

Thanks,Krishna

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Krishna.

The way I want to see the landscaping is : Lets take Windows Drive division (C,D,E etc.) .All of them have different space and different data storage. To access a file in C one has to go into C drive.

Similarly, Within PRD client (means same server but with different routes to enter in) I need to creat space for two different companies PRD servers L2 and L3 respectively.

This is I want to know whether  possible or not??

Regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos

Dear Saurabh,

This is possible.

You will have to do little code writing and 1 RFC with dialogue user for each client.

1)Create a custom tcode and ask user to select between two systems and click submit.

2) create 2 RFCs for each client and remote logon functionality/authorization.

In this way whichever system user selects , corresponding client will be logged via remote logon.

This is what comes to my mind with your requirement. Let me know if it helps.

Warm Regards,

Sumit

0 Kudos

I need to creat space for two different companies PRD servers L2 and L3 respectively.

If L2,L3 companies are likely to function in two different SAP systems(L2 and L3 are completly different business) , yes you can set  up two different clients in single SAP system to achieve the  same.

If i assume the above scenario is your query , Yes -it is possible

Thanks,Krishna

0 Kudos

Hi Sumit,

Its innovative and helpful.

RFC's are right tool to call up my connection. But the way I want is, its like I need to enter in a company but with three different gates. RFC's will take me to keep users/employees reaching at different gates through different routes.

But the challenge is that they all will be accessing the same PRD server and these 3 employees groups represent 3 different companies. And one employee group is restricted to enter into domains of other company in SAP. ( I believe this we can control on company code , Plant level authorization control access? )

Kindly suggest

Regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos

This is not a question for this forum, because you are trying to discuss security where you should be trying (or rather your FI/CO department should be) to discuss business scenarios.

I never dreamed (after 20 years doing SAP), that I'd quote the original SAP documentation on clients vs. company codes again, ever - but here it goes:

Company Code

Definition

Smallest organizational unit of external accounting for which a complete, self-contained set of accounts can be created. This includes the entry of all transactions that must be posted and the creation of all items for legal individual financial statements, such as the balance sheet and the profit and loss statement.

The definition of the company code organizational unit is obligatory .

Anything bigger goes to a different client.

Try to come up with a business architecture first and adapt security after, accordingly.

0 Kudos

Hi

Slightly different, what if I gave only one path to log on to users and once they double- click on it and system (dialogue box) asks for their credentials where in Company code is mandatory and if L2 user want to log in then he/she has to enter company code (say L2) and other credentials and that system will verify (whether the employee (SAP id) belongs to this company id or not and once verified successfully, the user should be able to function with L2 company code only.

Can this be done?

Regards

Saurabh

0 Kudos

Why would you even do this?

Once your FI/CO department has defined the architecture: company codes, plants etc. you can authorize users accordingly, so they'd never see the data of the "other" company, plant etc.

0 Kudos

Dear Saurabh,

Sorry for late reply.

Yes you got the pulse. The RFC users need to have authorization for org structures in child clients also.But since i am not of business types so i can not tell you what impact it will do on business processes like billing.

Anyways this kind of queries bolt your mind to think above conventional SAP flow. Keep going.

Warm Regards,

Sumit Jha

former_member298454
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Scenario 1: If a single SAP system with single client where all 3 companies are implemented.

Soln : Have to enforce the restriction only through authroizations to realize differntiation(which company the user belong to) on users. I dont think it makes sense to set up seperate logins for users of each company.

Scenario 2: In a single SAP system and 3 companies needed to be implemeted and treat each company as seperate business ,

Soln: set up 3 clients for each company in single SAP system. So that 3 company users can be managed seperately  and users have to login to their respective client(client 1 -L1 company ,Client 2- L2 company etc)

You might need to have a discussion with FICO and BASIS to know more details if you have business design to be realized.

Thanks,Krishna

0 Kudos

Well thank you for trying to echo me. You're still wrong.

This has naught to do with where people will login or will be authorized of whatever.

This solely has to do with BUSINESS PROCESSES, mainly in FI/CO. Read the documentation again.

"Smallest organizational unit of external accounting for which a complete, self-contained set of accounts can be created. This includes the entry of all transactions that must be posted and the creation of all items for legal individual financial statements, such as the balance sheet and the profit and loss statement."

Who is authorized how or logs in where is the consequence of this decission, not its cause.

0 Kudos

Well,I am trying to answer the requestor's query the way I understood.It might resembles and looks echoing for you.

Since the query is more of how to manage the users for 3 companies , I shared the possible scenarios in my opinion .The possible scenarios wouldn't be valid if business process/structure is designed in such a way?

Thanks,Krishna