cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fork step got hanged. Workflow is not processing further

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Background: I have created a Fork with 6 parallel branches with 6 necessary branches. When I have executed my workflow, it

got hanged at few intermediate steps of Fork.

Workflow graphical flow

Fork step definition

Workflow Chronological Status

Question: Why could be the reason ? How to diagnose this situation

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have waited long enough to find the way to diagnose the error but at last I am closing the thread without any answer.

SOLUTION I FOUND: -

Earlier - I have copy pasted plenty of steps in my workflow .

Now - Build a new workflow without copy pasting any of the steps. And workflow is running perfectly fine.

Regards,

Siva

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the follow-up. That is strange.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help but you didn't answer many of the questions posed to you.

I still can't see any screenshot of any decision step in "In Process" status.

Glad you got it fixed.

Richa_Gupta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

1. Please make sure that agent determination is correct for User Decision step. Please check in technical log to whom user decision step is going for execution. Also, whoever the agent is, please make sure that you have concatenated 'US' with user id. For example, if SIVA is the agent, then you should assing USSIVA as the agent for user decision step.

2. If agent determination is correct for user decision, and still no workitem is going into the inbox then please make sure that you have made the user decision task as general task.

3. If both above points are correct, and still user decision is not coming up in workflow log, then please check if the checkbox 'Not in Workflow Log' is checked for user decision step.

Regards,

Richa

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is the Chronological View.

Display all Errors:

@ - Rob

Why do you use the term hanging?

Status is clearly READY of these workitems. Check if you can execute them through SWIA.

If you can then you made a misstake at agent determination.

-- I have termed as my workflow has hanged because I see no further step as 'In Progress'. Only My worklow has status as In progress, and there is no step in that status and no step is displayed in any of the logs. To execute anything from SWIA , I need to have a step in 'In Progress' . Here this is not the case.

Diagnose from My end - Followed SWUD , verified basic  'Verify Workflow' which is working fine. And I have no clue what to check next here. As entire workflow and its steps are in consistence with no errors.

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Status concept of dialog workitems

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/8d/25f336454311d189430000e829fbbd/content.htm

Using hanged usually means workitem has status in process indefinately. From your screenshots I haven't seen workitems, apart from the top flow, remaining in process.

1. identify workitems

2. find corresponding task

3. find corresponding method

4. use wf definition to understand binding between step<-->task<-->method (look for literals being passed)

5 use wf log to see the content of the container elements of the step that you are interested in

6. combine step 4 and 5 to recreate the situation in the workflow by isolating the method and ececuting that one either from se24 or swo1

7. see what happens

Kind regards, Rob Dielemans

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"To execute anything from SWIA , I need to have a step in 'In Progress' "

No, it needs to be READY. Do you have any in that status?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I guess there might be some locking problem in the steps ( background ) you have mentioned. Please let us know what type of processing happening in there. As everything is running in parallel , it might be getting into error or hanging state , where it cannot lock on the object it want to process. That might ba shared custom table or something. We cannot confirm unless we know what actually hapening there.

Thanks

Rakesh

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

May be it was hanging temporarily. As I could see temporary errors for my workflow. After executing program to clear temporary errors. All the background jobs got cleared.

Now, Workflow is hanging at start of User decision task. Unable to understand what could be the error. 

Regards,

Siva

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why do you use the term hanging?

Status is clearly READY of these workitems. Check if you can execute them through SWIA.

If you can then you made a misstake at agent determination.

Kind regards

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should check the technical details of these steps in the workflow log to see if there are no things like deadline monitoring or temporary errors.

Check if its synchronous or asynchronous and maybe an event is not triggered.

Also check if these processes are still running SM50 is one tool to check that. I would also try to see what happens when you execute the methods using the same parameters. It might be that somewhere in the code there is an endless loop and that is why it can't continue.

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

From the execution of the program 'RSWWERRE' , I have come to know that these steps have temporary errors and which got resolved by the execution of this report.

Assuming that standard jobs scheduled via activations from SWU3 didn't worked earlier to manual execution of the report by me. Even in this case as per my latest reply to Anajan, I am still clules.

Regards,

Siva

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maybe the following has happened in your system.

Some time ago someone manually scheduled the backgroundjobs needed for using workflows, so this userid becomes the one executing these reports in background. Recently this user was deleted so the jobs can't be executed any more.

Check SM37 to see if there are errors and fix them by using the WF-BATCH or some other background user as the one executing them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Check the type of the Task. It should be background task.

Also check ST22 for any dumps.

Thanks,

Vijay.

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

No dumps and All the steps are background steps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you check SWU3 - RFC Destination ?

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Everything is configured in Workflow customized settings. And other workflows are in place working fine.

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Is the status of background task is Ready or In process?

If it is 'Ready', then it could be a buffer issue. Try SWU_OBUF .

if it is an 'In Process' , the method could running in endless loop.

Just compare the input of working tasks and the hanging Tasks.

You might get some clues.

Thanks,

Vijay.

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Few of the background jobs got executed and few of them are in ready status. There is no buffer issue, as I have executed the transaction between two workflows and the two workflows have similar issue.

I have across a thread http://scn.sap.com/thread/3233082, where it talks about execution of program 'RSWWERRE'. After executing this program couple of background jobs got executed and still one background job got hanged in ready status.

Regards,

Siva

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Also check the step Dead line monitorin actiated or not like 'Requested Start' 

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Apart from Event queue and Clearing Report, all other configurations are up and running from long time. But until unless  I have run program 'RSWWERRE' , few of background steps not got executed. Now all background jobs got executed and all are hanging at start of User decision step,

And chronological view doesn't show anything. And I do not understand what to do. Where is the problem .

Regards,

Siva

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please share the screenshot of Technical Log with Message  tab

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anjan,

Technical Details.

Graphical Log - ( just to show what all steps exists)

The green line stops before User Decision.

Regards,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

I Guess you need to process and take decision in user-decision step in order to proceed further.

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

On Chronicle view click on (shift + f9) to see the veiw with Technical Details. Then check and shaer the Message  tab

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anjan,

I am not able to achieve shift+F9 , anyways let me display message tab of technical details. But it does not contain anything.

Both branches 1 and 2 have a user decision after a background step. 

Regards,

Siva

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You said: "Everything is configured in Workflow customized settings"

Obviously, this was not the case. SWU3 should have shown you that the SWWERRE was not running. Your workflow administrator (if there is one) is not doing his job.

Why do you think there is a problem now with the user decisions? What state are they in? If all is well, then they should be in READY state. You should show the chronological log, it's much easier to understand.

regards

Rick Bakker

krish469
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rick,

As I said everything in SWU3 is fine, I assure that everything is fine. Those batch jobs  are scheduled at interval 20 min, hence the delay of execution of background jobs.

Current Situation: All background jobs got executed. Workflow status is "In Progress". None of my user decisions steps are shown in chronological log. One can see my workflow graphical log stating that it has further steps as shown below. I am unable o figure out what could have happened. Kindly suggest a way to diagnose the issue.

From Graphical Log, it is clear that workflow has struck at User decision step. I am unable to understand why this step haven't executed. [ User decisions are not triggered to any of the user]

anjan_paul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please share  what is there in Process Control steps in workflow

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's not the chronological log. Use it, it makes everything so much clearer.

former_member185167
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope your User Decision tasks have been set to General Task.