cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ERP and SAP GTS on the same client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I understand SAP suggests to use different system or at least a different client for SAP ERP and SAP GTS, else the performance will be drastically impacted. As it would require additional infra and cost for setting up a different system, how about suggesting a same client for both ERP and GTS (all software components in the same client), this will reduce the need for duplicating the master and transnational data. Carryout the GTS related activities also from the same production client as that if ERP.

Please suggests the Pros and Cons, so that I can analyse and guide the client accordingly.

Many Thanks

GTSGuru

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member215181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi GTSGuru,

(Interesting username - is that a long-term aspiration? )

There are no advantages to having both in the same client.  For example, the GTS Product Master records still need to be replicated from the ERP Material Master records, and I would imagine that the ALE component might be confused by having the same source and target.

SAP usually put more than a passing thought into their suggestions.

Regards,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

Wish I could be a Guru in GTS area!!! Hope so your thoughts become reality one day.....

Thanks Dave for the immediate response. Actually, I was thinking about the same on business partners, irrespective of whether we use the same or different system, we will have to replicate the business partners GTS (which will have different partner number in GTS to that of the Feeder system).

Still I feel there is some other strong reasons for SAP suggesting a different system for GTS.

Many Thanks

GTSGuru

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear GTS Guru

if you check the many SAP documentation etc. some "reasons" regarding the recommendations from SAP are (that means SAP ERP and SAP GTS on different hardware):

a.) performance aspects

b.) upgrade aspects

c.) size of "boxes" (hardware)

d.) different user community

e.) different "buiness cases"(one more "logistic" driven; and one more "compliance" driven (customs topics, compliance topics, etc.)

You could enumerate further reasons why this approach is "standard". Generally in most cases many companies are doing it as recommended by SAP: that means:

a.) one hardware for SAP ERP (in many cases many SAP ERP systems)

b.) one hardware for SAP APO

c.) one hardware for SAP GTS

d.) one hardware for SAP Bw

e.) one hardware for SAP TM

etc. As mentioned by Dave: in any case: replicication is needed

C.B.

Answers (0)