cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not retrieving data when there are too much BASMEMBERS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, i'm having trouble with an interface in BPC 10,

the model has 13 dimensions, and when more than 7 dimensions are expanded as BASMEMBERS the report becomes empty.

So, it works if i use a single member as expansion of a dimension, but when i expand any other dimension as BASMEMBERS, the report can't retrieve data. I don't know if it is because the tuples are to much to calcute (even if i use the "suppress" in the report), or something else. there is some kind of limitation i'm not aware of?

I'm currently using BPC 10, SP 20

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked the tblLogs table to retrieve the query that is actually being sent to the database and then run the same query against the database directly?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've done it now. I found this message

DetailMsg  : {Error: System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

at DataService.OSoft.Services.Webservice.SharedQueryEngine.clsDataQuery.SetResultAxisPosition(List`1& dimensions, CResultAxis& axis, Hashtable& hashValidPosition, List`1 odicRequestedMembers)}

So i have to much tuples as a result of crossing all the dimensions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alberto, I am running into the same exact issue.  The suggested fix does not work and I am getting the same error in the logs.  Were you able to resolve the issue? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, i asked for help to SAP and they say is a limit of this version, and to try reducing dimensions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Alberto. Do you receive an error message on the front-end of some sort when it doesn't complete?  I have no issue with the fact that it hits a limit and doesn't complete as that is the behavior in BPC 7.5 as well.  The problem I have is that it does not return an error message like it does in 7.5 or in other EPM reports that max out in 10.0.  It falsely looks like the query completed, but that there is no data in the intersection which is misleading to the user.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly. If you search for the logs in rhe DB, you'll find these error instead

==============[System Exception Tracing]==============

[Exception]

DetailMsg  : {Error: System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

at DataService.OSoft.Services.Webservice.SharedQueryEngine.clsDataQuery.getPositionOfRequest(List`1 oIdxList, Int64[] nCartesianCnt, Int32 nDimCnt)

at DataService.OSoft.Services.Webservice.SharedQueryEngine.clsDataQuery.SetResultAxisPosition(List`1& dimensions, CResultAxis& axis, Hashtable& hashValidPosition, List`1 odicRequestedMembers)}

==============[System Exception Tracing  End ]==============

So it is an overflow error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alberto, please open an incident with SAP and ask to be assigned to me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan, but we already got a SAP note where it says that

"the number of members in each nested dimension in

a report axis, when multiplied by themselves and before applying the remove empty or zero values option, cannot exceed

9,223,372,036,854,775,807."

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we query basemembers we are issuing SQL queries. so I'm a bit unclear on how the tuples get involved here. The things is the note that you are referring to (1763572) talks about the EPM Add-in limitations while the error seems to be produced somewhere in the back end. Jeff raises a good point as to why the EPM add-in doesn't actually report the error so I''m wondering if you are running into the same issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've already tried that, unfortunately it doesn't work

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

Check "Force Symmetric Refresh for Large Asymmetric Axis" option in the User Options dialog box.

Also remove empty and zero

Shrikant

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Under EPM - User option -> Others -> Select Force Symmetric Refresh for Large Asymmetric Axis.

2) Under EPM - Sheet option -> General -> Select Remove Empty and Zero Values.

Shrikant