Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crpe32.dll failing to load after installing v13 merge modules

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am currently receiving the error:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.CRPE' threw an exception. ---> CrystalDecisions.Shared.CrystalReportsException: Could not load C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\crpe32.dll.

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.CRPE..cctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.CRPE.CloseCrpe()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.InternalClose(Boolean bSetupForNextReport)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Close()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod)

at IX.CrystalReportCore.ExecuteCrystalReport_Threaded(Object o)

After going here:

I installed the (v.13.0.12.1494) Support Pack 12 on my computer. I then downloaded the merge module (13_0_12.msn) and included it within my InstallShield package.

When the application on a clean computer (No previous versions of CR except for the installers files) attempts to load a report in the Crystal Reports Viewer the crpe32.dll error is thrown.

The DLL does EXIST on the computer, in the path stated above. The version is: 13.0.0.99.

Now - After a lot of googling, i came across this thread with the same issue:

The conclusion was to install a seperate redist msi package and ignore the merge modules (?!)

When i install the 32 bit redist on the computer (On top of the Merge Modules files) (http://downloads.businessobjects.com/akdlm/cr4vs2010/CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0_12.zip ) the application works absolutely fine and the report is shown within the CR Viewer.

The application i'm running is set to x86. I'm using VS 2010 on a windows 7 machine. The problem persists on both a 32 and 64 bit machine and both times is solved by installing the msi package.

Now it is imperitive that we use a single install package as this is a professional peice of distributed software - Yet, the official merge modules appear not to be working??

If the merge module isn't working, then SAP has essentially released a piece of software that can't be easily redistributed?

Can someone correct me or suggest what i'm doing wrong?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Thank you for the excellent description of the issue.

From the description, I suspect the issue is that when you are using the MSM, the VC++ runtime is not being deployed. The MSI includes the CR runtime as well as the VC++ dependencies, MSM does not. Apparently this is due to some legal stuff... Anyhow, the upshot of this is that in your app you will have to ensure that the VC++ runtime is also part of your deployment package.

Please see the following KBA for more details:

1531409 - How to deploy the CRVS2010 runtime when using merge modules?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction there! I think you're correct however haven't managed to solve the issue.

I'm currently battling with Installshield and trying to get it to install the MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributables.

To anyone i the future that battles with this issue, the following DO NOT work:

Visual C++ 8.0 ATL (x86) WinSXS MSM

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Will attempt to update if i have any luck

Answers (0)