cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Fiori deployment options - IW_BEP on Gateway Hub

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to determine an appropriate architecture for our SAP Fiori application deployments. Looking at this document on SAP gateway deployment options, I am drawn towards the option where IW_BEP is installed on the gateway server itself as opposed to the backend systems.

However all documentation on Fiori app installations seems to assume that the IW_BEP component is installed on the ECC backend system, and the oData components for a given app, which are dependent on IW_BEP would also be installed on the ECC backend system.

We would prefer to avoid having to install and upgrade components on the ECC backend system as this has a huge regression testing impact. Is this a feasible approach? We are looking to install HR related fiori apps like leave request.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nitin,

"Hub Deployment- development in HUB" is NOT supported for Fiori applications. That means that you need to install IWBEP component in ECC/backend.

Regards

Krishna

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kedarT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

Technically you can have IW_BEP on the Gateway along with the app specific UI components.

But, if you have to use application like Approve Shopping Cart or other related apps for non-ECC systems. You will have to install all the front-end components  and app specific components on all these systems and will have administrative issues with managing the semantic objects, roles and system specific launchpad rather than a single launchpad.

If you want to use the Fiori apps like Approve Leave Request, per documentation - App Implementation: Approve Leave Requests - SAP Fiori Apps - SAP Library you have certain task to be performed in the backend systems. This becomes irrelevant if you build a fiori-like app where there is flexibility with oData model creation and deployment.

Even though oData components of the App are installed on ECC it should not have much impact on the current functionality as most of them have there configurations steps and any needed master data setup.

I agree with you on the regression testing needed before going productive but future strategy should be to a central hub architecture to use other Fiori Apps.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

I don't think followed your comment about having to install the same app specific components on multiple systems causing administrative issues. I think you are assuming I am looking to install gateway and UI components on the ECC system. Actually I am looking for quite the opposite. The goal is for all UI components and oData components to reside only in the gateway hub, with no installation requirement on the backend ECC/SRM systems.

So this would actually prevent having to install and keep upgrading the IW_BEP and all associated IW* components in all backend systems. I am certain that this approach works well for all custom gateway+UI5 apps with the gateway hub being the development platform for all services and the backend ECC/SRM systems only being RFC providers to enable those services.

However what is not clear is whether this would work for the installation of out of the box Fiori application. The installation guides seem to assume that IW_BEP is installed on the backend systems. This any time I want to install the latest version of any Fiori app, I need to upgrade the IW* components (and their further dependencies) in the backend systems.

I would assume that SAP would provide a mechanism for installation of Fiori apps in the deployment model where IW* components are only on the gateway hub and not on the backend ECC/SRM systems.

thanks, Nitin

kedarT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok,

Got it, i like your approach but will not be possible for Fiori Apps as they have done the oData Model querying/logic in the backend system and to achieve the in your way they will have to create RFC in the Data Provider and Model Provider of the oData Model which is a complete change in the design of the applications.

This blog can be helpful esp the second option -