cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDGF data upload for MDG Hub deployement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can we do data upload from master tables of target system or need to first import in MDG Hub master tables and then do intial upload?

Can use use report KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD in standalone deployement option? Or need to do intial uplaod by data import or MDMGX?

If do it by file upload method how Hierarchy assignment (CCTRH...>CCTRG......>CCTR) maintained in MDG for intial data upload?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjay,

Firstly , MDG-F uses flex mode. That means data is stored only in MDG generated tables. To transfer this data to master data tables like CSKS,CSKT etc(within MDG hub or separate systems) data replication has to be configured.You could use MDMGX transaction to extract the cost centre data in the form of xml files and use the Data import application provided by MDG to upload the data into MDG. Once you do this , data would be first updated to MDG generated tables.If you configure data replication , then data would be updated to tables CSKS,CSKT etc,.

You could use report KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD to extract the hierarchy data in the form of text files and use the file upload to upload the hierarchy data to MDG. You could check note 1573223 for this. Even here data would be first updated to MDG generated tables.

Regards,
Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu

Thank you for confirmation!

My question is if I report  KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD for target client (Not MDG Hub) and store all hierarchy data as gtxt files on l\ocal machine and then upload same data into MDG hub for MDG tables using File upload method .

Are hierarthy structure assignment is already created (CCTRH..>CCTRG.....>CCTR and so on)?

or need to create blank CR and process it thorugh change request. It is not  possible for my client as there are app 5K plus CCTR with app 1000 plus CCTRG.

Also what is advantages using MDMGX and DIF instead of File upload method? Are hierarthy structure assignment is already created im MDG if we follow this method?

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Firstly , you need to upload the cost centre data to MDG hub. For this you could use the MDMGX in source system(system where the data is currently available) and DIF in MDG hub. If you have huge number of cost centres , then file upload is not a very useful tool.You have to first upload the cost centres. Once this is finished you have to again upload the descriptions.You can't do this at the same time. But DIF provides more flexibility like the cost centres and descriptions could be uploaded at the same time ,the data upload is scheduled as a background job , it comes with a useful log etc., Note that this results in upload of only the cost centre data , but not the hierarchy data. Uploading cost centres is a prerequisite to upload the hierarchy data

For uploading the hierarchy data , the report KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD has to be used in source system((system where the data is currently available) to download the hierarchy data in text files. Then , you  would have to then create a blank CR in MDG and use the file upload to upload the data. You could check the document

This would result in hierarchy data being created in CCTRH..>CCTRG.....>CCTR

Regards,

Raghu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghu

Some confusion at my end.

Do you mean that if we use MDMGX for uploading cost center then we need to upload cost center first and cost center description again as a seperate upload? In File upload we can cost center along with it's description also.

Then can we use file upload method for updating cost center data and then report  KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD is used for uploading hierarchy data?

Is their any limitation for numer of cost center data? Is it possible to split and then upload?

Why MDMGX along with DIF is more prefable than file upload (Though it is simple)?

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjay,

File upload:

Using file upload , you cannot upload the cost centres and descriptions at the same time! As I mentioned earlier , " You have to first upload the cost centres. Once this is finished you have to again upload the descriptions.You can't do this at the same time."

Data extraction from source system and mapping the data to fields in MDG hub has to be done manually. I am not sure if you are already aware of this but some fields available in ERP(source) system are not available in MDG system. So you would have to remove these fields from your file.  You have to spend additional effort for doing such mappings.

Also if you have huge number of cost centres , the performance of file upload is not very great. So ,  you would have to split the files with each file containing about 1000 records  and do the file upload , but it is really time consuming .

For uploading the cost centre hierarchies ,you have to use file upload itself. This is the best tool

DIF:

DIF provides more flexibility for uploading the cost centre data. Mapping of fields is taken care by it i.e. When you extract the file and provide it to DIF , it automatically takes care of the mapping. Cost centres and descriptions could be uploaded at the same time. You dont need to split the files. You could just start the import and it will be scheduled as a background job. The manual effort needed in this approach is very less.

In short , if you are ok with the additional effort needed for uploading the cost centre data through file upload  option, of course you could go with that.

Regards,
Raghu

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjay

You can load master data - standalone using the MDMGX but it won't support for hierarchy. For CC / PC hierarchy you have to use file upload mode.

The sequence is - load the CC first then load the hierarchy - file 1 i,e name file then file 2 i.e the group file and the last one is assignment file using file upload method.

I used file upload only as its fast and you can view the error messages.

Kiran

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Just to add , we have close to 1,25,000 cost centres and 2,25,000 cost centre descriptions and file upload believe me was not able to handle this many records.  In our case Data import framework was very useful

Regards,

Raghu

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But it takes same time...same case with me too. Any way you need to use file upload for hierarchy load? Which method you used to load hierarchy and assignment?

Kiran

raghu3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

For cost centre hierarchy upload , we had to use file upload only. From our experience , we decided to go with the following set up for the upload process

TaskDIFFile upload
Upload of Cost centre and Cost centre descriptionsX
Upload of Cost centre hierarchy X
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran

Report  KBAS_MDGF_SET_DOWNLOAD for herarchy assignment

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes that is for downloading the data from ECC. You can use File upload to load the data in MDG

Kiran    

Answers (0)