Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP generated schedule lines not in sequence

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear friends,

Client uses MRP to generate schedule lines for scheduling agreement.

For some materials, the MRP generated schedule lines are not in sequence (i.e not in ascending order of schedule line numbers).

Please see image.

For eg. schedule line 1 is followed by line 9 and then line 2 etc.

What could be the issue?

Please advise.

Regards

Prabhu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu

I don't see a problem here. Schedule lines are ordered by date and the schedule lines couter will not necessarily match the date sequence.

On this example, I suppose that you had requirements on 19.03 and on 24.03, then MRP was executed and schedule lines 1 and 2 were generated. MRP also generated another schedule lines to cover other requirements and, in some point in the future, a new requirement on 23.03 was created. The next MRP run generated schedule line 9 to cover this requirement, and that explain why they are not in order.

Regards

Caetano

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Caetano,

Thanks for your answer.

I am not sure if the scenario you explained has happened in this case.

I will check with client and confirm this.

Meanwhile, I was thinking if this could be a problem with using MRP planning mode = 3 (delete and recreate planning data) instead of using 1 - (Adopt planning data-normal mode) ?

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Prabhu

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

I wrote the following document that explains why planning mode 3 should not be used in a productive system:

It may lead to an overflow in table EKET, however, I dont't think that this specific scenario is related to planning mode 3, otherwise, delivery schedules 1 and 2 would have been deleted (unless they are firmed).

Regards

Caetano

RobynCouch
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu

I have to agree with Caetano in this case (his document is excellent).

If you are doing something that relies on the schedule line numbering being sequential then you should be re-thinking that process instead of trying to adapt the MRP output to match your requirements.

Even if you use planning mode 3 there is a limits on what MRP can delete so you can't be certain it will always meet your requirement.  The schedule item number is there to provide a unique reference for each schedule line not to sequence the records.

Regards

Robyn

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Robyn for your replies.

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Caetano for your answer.

I have checked with your reply to client but they say and they have not done any changes to the MRP generated schedule lines and therefore the sequence number jumping is not normal for them.

Anyways, this is just a minor issue and not a line stopper so they are OK with that.

Thanks once again for your replies.

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Caetano,

Thanks for your replies on my query.

I understand when you say "a new requirement on 23.03 was created" and MRP generates the schedule line # 9 for eg.,  between lines 1 & 2.

But I just want some clarity on your remark "MRP also generated other schedule lines to cover other requirements".

By other requirements, do you mean other requirements for the same material or for any other material in that plant?

This will help me understand the system behaviour better.

Client is using 2,3,1,1,1 parameters while running MRP.

Thanks & Best Regards

Prabhu

Caetano
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

I mean requirements for the same material. If another planned order for the parent material was created, for example, it will drive a new requirement to this material. If this new requirement is between two existing schedule lines, MRP may generate a new schedule line, with the highest counter, but the date will be between both existins schedule lines.

BR

Caetano

prabhu_sundararaman2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Caetano.

Answers (0)