Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hana Installation/configuration related queries

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

Please help me understand below queries related to sap HANA

Query No. 1)

While reading HA200 book I came across the below image for installation of distributed system (in which mount point has subdirectory 'SID' )

However in Standard Installation guide it is showing other directory ( mount point /HANA has subdirectory 'SHARED' )

may I please know what is standard naming convention for sub directories ? (SID,DATA,LOG or SHARED,DATA,LOG).

Query No. 2)

In HANA DB distributed installation why there is requirement of separate directory SYS (usr/sap/<sid>/SYS) on Every host?

In distributed ABAP system; we mention "profiles_directory_location" when adding dialog instance. It acts as central location of all profile files and no addition directory is required on application server level. May I please know if there is specific reason for not following that norm while installing addition HANA dialog (slave) instance.

Query No. 3) This is big one (I think my skull is thick); this is regarding profile parameter files.

Assume:

<Hana DB sid>= ABC. common mount point is /HANA. Two DB application server host1 (Instance = HDB01) and host2 (Instance = HDB02). Both are serving database ABC.

Questions:

1)  Is it allowed in HANA to have Different system number to the application server instance that serve same DB ? (in above case host one has got system No. 01 and other got 02)

2)Please let me know all DB configuration//global/local profile files that are there in HANA with respect to above example. and their names also. It's too much confusing for me.

Regards,

Arthur Rodrigues

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Arthur,

With SAP HANA, as with other SAP systems, you can run a system on multiple computers as a single logical unit. The system has a single system ID (SID) and the same instance number on every host. So to answer your first question, it is not allowed/possible. Your second question is not clear to. Maybe you could be more precise/concise?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Denys,

Thanks for answering the question.

I actually got three queries; you helped me with Question1 of 3rd query.

Can you please help me with query 1 and query 2 also.

Also about Question2 of 3rd query:

as you mentioned that one can't have different <system No.> so basically HANA system ABC can hve two application servers host1 and host2 with <system No.> 01. Assuming same; may I know what all profile files will be there in the system ABC? (e.g. 1 statisticsserver.ini file on master node, 2 nameserver.ini files...Also I would appreciate if their locaction is specified on filesystem level with respect to hostname mentioned above).

Sorry for trouble.

Regards,

Arthur Rodrigues

dvankempen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Arthur,

Question 1: What is the directory naming convention for SAP HANA installations?

General recommandation: follow the official documentation. The training material from SAP Education is based upon this documentation and as such is an interpretation. The source material is the documentation that is freely accessible on help.sap.com

I do not see any significant difference between both graphics.

We have two mount points:

- one on a local drive: /usr/sap/<SID>

- one on shared storage:  /<hanamnt>/<SID>

On the first image the shared storage mount point is a variable <hanamnt>; on the second an example is given for this variable: /hana/shared

Question 2: Why there is requirement of separate directory SYS (usr/sap/<sid>/SYS) on every host?

The local installation files (/usr/sap) do not contain any user data. These files will be overwritten by each revision update. The programs inside SYS are required on each host.

Question 3b: the configuration files for the different HANA services (index server, compile server, etc.) are stored on each host as INI files. The profile files (PFL) are stored on each host but serve a different purpose. These are used by the SAP Host Agent included with each HANA installation and are used by the sapstartsrv program (the same as found on Netweaver systems).

Hope this clarifies your questions.

Regards,

Denys

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear sir,

thanks for clarification.

Regards,

Arthur Rodrigues

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.