cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Portal Migration Using Backup-Restore Method

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Experts,

I want to ask your comment, suggestion and recommendation about my SAP Portal migration plan.

I planned to use backup restore method for this migration. Below are technical specification of this migration activity.

OS Version:

Windows 2008 -> Windows 2008 R2

DB Version:

10.2.0.4 -> 10.2.0.5

Old NW Version/Kernel Version:

Netweaver 7.0/7.0 PL 97553.450

Is it possible to use backup method instead of export import method. I hope any valuable input from you all.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Husin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You need to do the Migration  using  SAP System copy tools. Database copy method  is not  recommended / sometimes not possible for Java system which are less than 7.1 version .

Data is stored both in the filesystem and DB for Java systems less than version 7.1

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Disagree.

System copy based on backup and restore is possible and supported. You can export the source system with the option "Use Database Specific Tools" and move the dump to the target system. During the target system creation you need to select the option "Use Database Specific Tools". The tool will prompt for the restore of the database and once the restore is done you should be able to continue. This will let you create the target system with the copy of DB and FS database from the source system.

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Reagan  .

Knew this method was there  but  this is also a system copy method / Homogenous system copy method ie using SAP inst/SWPM ( or is it not ? )

Was suggesting to use only sytem copy methods and not OS/DB methods for this migration . ( ie i dint mention export/import )

Apologies

Thanks ,

Manu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

For backup and restore you need to make sure that the hostname, SID and the database should be on the same version/patch level. The best option would be to do an export and import here as the size of the J2EE systems DB is relatively small and you can avoid patching the database to 10.2.0.5 (required if you want to do a backup and restore). You can setup the target system with 10.2.0.5 patch set and import the dump.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan & Manu,

Thanks for your valuable input. Based on your input, i decide to use export import due to differentiation

of hostname between old system and new system as Reagan Benjamin said.

Thanks & best regards,

Husin Aslim