cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product info questions: Crystal reports for Enterprise or Java reporting component?, or ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need some basic help and direction! 

I own Crystal reports 10 and XI (11).  (we also pay for maintenance and support).  (also run enterprise report server).

We want to load reports into web pages. 

But I'm lost and confused on the current and past products, renamed products and what they support.  I can not find a product list or what has superseded what.

I have downloaded the eclipse all in one zip

( cr4e-all-in-one-win_2.0.17.zip, 

Getting Started with Crystal Reports 10 Java Reporting Component (JRC).pdf,

Crystal Reports for Eclipse - Getting Started Guide.pdf,

cr4e_2.0.17_ManualInstallCRfor java.zip

and have found some SCN threads (but wonder if they are current, or still supported). 

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports+for+Eclipse+-+Installation+Types+and+Downl...

-not to mention the number of tabs opened with each click make it tough to navigate even my browser,  (13 tabs open just for SAP, looking for the correct links).

Can someone direct me to the products and manuals needed to display reports in web pages using java?  (eclipse IDE is ok).

I would prefer to use a product compatible with Crystal reports, but am open to other solutions.... 

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Just to confirm, are you looking to generate reports as native HTML output (in a webpage),

or do you mean to generate a PDF file and let the user download this PDF from the web?

-D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ideally, I want to do both.  is that possible?   

Currently we present pdf links to reports, and provide access to BOE (older rpt  server), where customers can run, change parms, and drill down, and export. (as needed). 

ad hoc reporting, inside  a web page is not a requirement.   (but a nice to have feature).

Frankly I'm not sure what are the capabilities.    I'm still figuring out the naming conventions and where manuals live.  (its not easy if you are not familiar with SCN)

I appreciate any advise...

0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

We are generating reports as PDFs and serving to users.

From the links you posted above we used:

-the Java Runtime Components (JRC) were used to generate the report on the server (a set of Java libraries need to be included in your class path)

- Crystal Reports 4 Eclipse (CR4E) was used to create the report templates using the CR editor (I noted your other thread - we had the same issue with the backspace/delete key in Eclipse - I think it is a wider problem than just Crystal Reports)

I will include some sample code below to generate the reports on the fly:

// Open the report

ReportClientDocument reportClientDocument = new ReportClientDocument()

reportClientDocument.open("your_crystal_report_file.rpt", OpenReportOptions._openAsReadOnly + OpenReportOptions._discardSavedData);

// Here you can replace the database connection if it is different from what you used in the editor

// Here you can set report parameters

// Export to PDF

ByteArrayInputStream byteArrayInputStream = (ByteArrayInputStream) reportClientDocument.getPrintOutputController().export(ReportOutputFormat.PDF);

reportClientDocument.close();

// Output to file

File file = new File("output.pdf");

FileOutputStream fileOutputStream = new FileOutputStream(file);

byte[] byteArray = new byte[byteArrayInputStream.available()];

ByteArrayOutputStream byteArrayOutputStream = new ByteArrayOutputStream(byteArrayInputStream.available());

int x = byteArrayInputStream.read(byteArray, 0, byteArrayInputStream.available());

byteArrayOutputStream.write(byteArray, 0, x);

byteArrayOutputStream.writeTo(fileOutputStream);

fileOutputStream.close()

Note: You can find more samples for various operations in Java here:

Java Reporting Component SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Former Member
0 Kudos

is this the latest and greatest ?

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-29757

any install guides, sample code setup instructions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is migration path from CR XI?  anyone can direct me to location for answer?

I am thinking I want CR14.1  (aka cr2013).  can I migrate directly from XI? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

more confusion, no enlightenment.  more FUD.

still looking for the right product and manuals.

this was linked

http://scn.sap.com/community/crystal-reports-for-eclipse

but the product names don't match the PAM....

where oh where are the manuals for the different versions? 

I downloaded and am running this zip.

cr4e-all-in-one-win_2.0.17.zip

is this also called C.R. 2014 ?  and where would I find developer's and user guides?