Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retina Support?

marcus_behrens
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I found that the defautl map used in SAP does not handle Retina resolution tiles yet: Retina support + International Geocoding - MapQuest Licensed Data Forums - MapQuest Developer Networ... . This makes these maps look really bad on modern smartphones and laptops that have a pixel density above 300ppi.

Which of the other map providers do provide such card material?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182119
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Marcus,

Retina or HiDPI support is not just a question of tiles or map providers. It is foremost a question of page definition and rendering.

Our current version does not consider HiDPI devices and renders in native CSS pixels. If this is required we can add HiDPI support, but you should take in account that this will increase resource consumption on the device at least by factor 4.

Cheers Uwe

marcus_behrens
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

So is this "add HiDPI" support a question of configuration or is this a feature that needs to be built into the visual business library?

I see 2 reasons for doing it:

1. In Maps having a higher resolution makes the fonts rendered look sharper - this is a true benefit to the user interacting with the map.
  2. On mobile devices most users are very familiar with native apps - the 2 I checked show at least fonts with retina resolution. Same for the browser version of google maps. If this is not done in Visual Business it is very striking to the user.

See examples below (I might not have configured VB to its best abilities - used default config):

(VB seems to have some additional artefacts around lines which might be possible to avoid).

former_member182119
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Actually its both, code and configuration. E.g. an Apple iDevice uses 2x2 physical pixels for an CSS pixel. In order to get the benefits of the physical resolution you need to

- provide the map tiles in a higher resolution, e.g 512x512 instead of 256x256 with the same content AND

- set the right rendering parameters to tell the browser to use the physical device resolution.

The artefacts in the visual business map result from the used Mapquest tiles, which are delivered as JPEG instead of the usual PNG. Those JPEGs have compression artefacts, which have nothing to do with VB.

BR Uwe