Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new ParentHx Hierarchy

former_member409271
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We are currently on BPC 7.5 MS

We would like to add another Hierarchy on one of our dimensions. This dimension already has four hierarchies i.e :ParentH1,ParentH2,ParentH3,ParentH4).

What will be the effect if we add another hierarchy (ParentH5) to the dimension?

Is there a limit to the number of ParentH you can have on BPC for each dimension?

Will adding more ParentH to a dimension affect performance in any way?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Regards

Aadil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aadil,
there aren't limits about hierarchies and dimensions, but if you have in a single application a lot of dimensions or hierarchies you will have performance's issues.

Normally is ok until 13 dimensions and 6 hierarchies over 13 dimensions until 20 you can have performance's issues dependindìg also from your sevrer hardwares, etc. over 20 you will have degradation of the system.

So if the application has until 13 dimensions you can have still 6 hierarchies without issues if the dimensions are more you should do some tests.

Remember also to create the relatives FormulaHx

Regards

Roberto

former_member409271
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto

Thanks for the reply.

The dimension I want to add the new ParentH5 to is shared between two of our applications.

Each of these two applications do not have more than 8 dimensions in them.

This dimension is not an account dimension and thus does not need the FormulaH Property or am I mis-understanding what you mean by 'relative FormulaHx'?

Regards

Aadil

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aadil,

I forgot also number of records could affect your performances

The dimension I want to add the new ParentH5 to is shared between two of our applications.

Each of these two applications do not have more than 8 dimensions in them.

then you shouldn't have issues unless you don't have 100 or more millions of records.

This dimension is not an account dimension and thus does not need the FormulaH Property or am I mis-understanding what you mean by 'relative FormulaHx'?

you're right, if they aren't account dims you don't need formulah.

Regards

Roberto

former_member409271
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Shrikant_Jadhav
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

What will be the effect if we add another hierarchy (ParentH5) to the dimension?

It will increase the side of data in database as each object created in back end.

Is there a limit to the number of ParentH you can have on BPC for each dimension?

As far as I remember there is no limitation.

Will adding more ParentH to a dimension affect performance in any way?

Technically more hierarchies will affect the performance but it also depends on server configuration.

Shrikant

former_member409271
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Shrikant