cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of n00b questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using CR 2008 and am having a few issues that I know are likely because of my knowledge of the program. I'll make a short list of questions:

1. if I have a text object that has borders, and I snap it to a guideline, why does it snap to the inside of the object instead of the border, this makes object alignment pure hell!
  2. Sometimes when I use the arrow key to move objects, they don't move as expected, e.g., I select an object, press the left arrow, it moves left. I select the object next to it, press the left arrow, it moves left and up.
  3. Is it not possible to have a box on top of a text object?
  4. This one kind of relates to question #1. If I have several text objects in a row, all butting up to each other and snapped to guidelines, adding borders to them messes up their position. (see image below)

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I rarely use borders on objects for just this reason.  If I need lines and I'm not exporting to Excel, I'll draw the lines instead of using borders.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you use boxes or lines? I can't seem to get the boxes to display properly. When it previews, each row appears to be in a separate box with a bit of white space between them. Also, is it easier to try to edit boxes/lines in design or preview mode?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

#2 could be caused due to a horizontal guideline that is snapped to another field positioned a few pixels above the field you're trying to move.

#3 - Yes it is!

#4 - Again, as Dell suggests the only reason you would add borders is when you want to Export to Excel. Otherwise, you would want to stick to Lines and Boxes for that table format.

Here's how I create that table:

1) Add a box object - this forms the left, right, top and bottom lines

2) Snap all columns to vertical guidelines. When you do this, you should notice a red plus at the intersection points of two fields. Something like this:

3) You would then insert a Line object and position it on top of the section. Right-click the line and make sure its 'Y' coordinate is 0.

4) To position it exactly between the two adjacent fields, right-click the field that is on the right > size and position > copy the x coordinate > Right-click the line > paste the x coordinate value you copied.

-Abhilash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, here are some problems I'm running into:

1. If there are two objects on top of each other, is there an easy way to select the object on the bottom without changing the stacking order
  2. When I use lines to create a border around my objects, the line on the far right sticks to the guideline, which leaves a small white gap on the top and bottom of the box when previewed.
  3. Why is it that I can open an object, change it's x position, click OK, then open Size and Position again and the X position is back to what it was before I changed it!