cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the best practices for granting BI super users modification/creation rights?

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

In cases when BI developers are responsible for creating and modifying all contents in BO server, I know that according to best practices, they are supposed to create reports /make changes first in Dev server and then promote the content to Production using the promotion tool in CMC.

But what if a small group of super users in different departments would like to have modification/creation access rights too?  What are the best practices for such cases? 

Should we allow them to have full access on Dev server and in order not to grant them access to Promotion tool of CMC, schedule regular Dev to Prod promotions?

And shall we grant View access , and not modification , on Production server so that anybody responsible for changes, whether BI developers or superusers, are forced to go through the promotion process?

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As suggested by shakthi adhoc folders could be created.

One another method we could follow is to advise the users to save the reports in their favorites folder of Production server thereby we can always keep the the Prod Server only for viewing the Standard Reports.

Till development only the user who is responsible for developing can have full control over the reports developed.

Once the reports are finalized/tested by the user, the reports could be moved to a specific standard folder in development that is already there or to a new folder and then could be promoted to other environments.(Could club the requests and could promote reports once in a week or two)

This ensures that there is no extra folders created in production environment and a overhead in development environment.

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Archana,

Thank you so much for replying.

Asking the users to save reports in their favorites folder is OK but main concern is that in case we are going to allow one business user to have full access over standard reports, shall I grant him the full access on the Dev server so that he can make changes there and schedule promotions to apply the changes to Production?

In other words, shall we grant the full acess on Dev and schedule promotions from Dev to Prod or grant the access on Prod and move the content from Prod to Dev so that they are kept in sync?

As a BI developer, we definitely follow the first approach but I heard that it's not a good idea to give business users ( I mean a few of them who are chosen to have full rights on standard reports) access to Dev server.

I hope I could explain my question.

Thanks again

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Any more ideas?

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Any other suggestions everybody?

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Parnaneh,

follow above thread.

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks but my question was not a technical one. I just want to know about best practices and other people's experiences

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parvaneh,

Are meaning business users as super user?

If business users wants a change/Modify you can create AdHoc folder under main folder and give them full access.

You can do a weekly activity to take all the completed reports from production and move it across to from development to production system on a main folder.

Giving access to development system will create more complication's for developer for identifying

the changes made by super users.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shakthi,

Yes, I meant business users.

So you suggest creating ad hoc folders and giving full access to them on Production server and then moving the reports to Dev in order to keep them in sync?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,you are right.

Thanks,

Shakthi Raj Natarajan

former_member220628
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. Let's hear other people's suggestions as well.