Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning to shift my career from Mainframe to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have over 12 yrs of Mainframe experience and currently handling few projects from past 6 years and out of coding now. I am in US and want to shift my career in to SAP , while going through one of the blogs I found quite interesting growth of careers in SAP and one of the blogs get my attention about HANA and future of cloud technologies. I felt quite interesting and decided to switch my career. I have not seen any changes like this in mainframe in my entire 12 years journey infact I have seen 8 out of 11 applications that I used to manage , migrated to Java, so sad. Coming to the point I am not looking for 100% coding subject but 20-30% of coding is ok . would like to know from experts if my decision is right or not and suggest me what would be the right module to choose. I did some home work on SAP discussing with friends and going through forums, looks like all functional modules need domain knowledge also there are already people with vast knowledge in market and also if I go out on contract then projects duration would be less and more travel is required. SAP BI/BO/HANA looks a better option in terms of long term projects and job openings and dont have require any Java or not much coding involved except SQL. I have knowledge of RDBMS as I worked on DB2 long back and also some knowledge on data warehouse concepts. Please let me know your views and suggest some good online training and placement institutes. Main reason for career change is due to less billing rate for Mainframe technologies and not seeing any growth technology wise.

Thanks in advance,

Venkat

3 REPLIES 3

paul_bakker2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You probably should have posted this in the 'SAP Careers' space. But anyway, I think you have made the right decision - you should now seek to do as much SAP training as you can afford in your chosen area. There is plenty of online (and even free) SAP training available.

Don't give up your current job, though, because it is notoriously hard to break into the SAP world. So your journey might require a lot of sweat and patience. And money.

cheers

Paul

0 Kudos

Paul, first of all I apologize for posting in wrong forum and Appreciate your quick response. what would be the module that I have to choose to start my career ? SAP BI or BO or HANA?  I will try to spend 2-3 hours time in learning the course in my busy work schedule and family.

If this the wrong place to extend my questions then Moderator- kindly move this topic to right forum.

Thanks ,

Venkat

0 Kudos

Hi,

We can't really recommend which module to choose in this forum, because the wisest choice depends more on YOU than on the module. But HANA seems to be the way of the future (at the moment).

SAP is currently offering free HANA training : you can google 'open sap hana'.

With enough perseverance, I'm sure you can make it.

good luck!

Paul