Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you give up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Just when do you give up. You face a challenge in an assignment or a project or even an effort to be somebody and you keep hitting a brick wall. You seek help and advice but just doesnt seem to take you anywhere. They just look the other way. You wonder if you are taking a wrong path or its just not for you. Do you give up.

Giving up if often viewed as a sign of weakness or lack of mental strength or not determined enough. You read about the history people that have made it big and how they were looked down upon and now they are highly successful. How they kept going despite the hardships, disappointments and being looked down upon like they were incapable of achieving anything yet they remained determined to make something of themselves. Then you think of yourself as one of those who gave up. If you had not given up, where would you be today. Do you keep trying, how do you stay motivated to keep going. How do you keep hoping that a breakthrough will come or is now close. How do you deal with statements like "you are not good enough", "you are not qualified", You do not have the experience" or "you are not well-networked" or just outright silence which seem to imply that you are wasting someone else's time.

You find yourself in a space where you are forced to prove yourself yet still going nowhere. You have invested a lot and now you start to think if it makes any sense to keep pilling-in resources. And you decide, 'Must i call it quits' yet something at the back of your mind says 'not just yet'. Is it confusion or must just give up and move-on.

(This is a Certified SAP CRM Fresher trying to get a breakthrough into SAP-4yrs on)

<<moderator - removed Email Address>>

Message was edited by: Colleen Lee - removing personal contact details. Moving from Training to Careers space for better visibility and discusion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amos,

In this situation, i think, it will be good to have a self evaluation. You may consider the following points for evaluation

1. Where am I going wrong ..?

2. Where do I stand, comparing to the peer group who are competing for the job I want..?

3. Am I eligible, equipped to be selected for the job..?

4. If am not eligible/equipped,..then what will make me one..? Is it feasible to gain/ learn that thing which will make me eligible..?

After an evaluation, you will have the answers and then you know what to do.

Quitting will not be an option at all for a determined Person. So.. gain, what ever it takes to be eligible and do whatever it takes to get the job you want.

Regards

Jobi

6 REPLIES 6

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amos,

In this situation, i think, it will be good to have a self evaluation. You may consider the following points for evaluation

1. Where am I going wrong ..?

2. Where do I stand, comparing to the peer group who are competing for the job I want..?

3. Am I eligible, equipped to be selected for the job..?

4. If am not eligible/equipped,..then what will make me one..? Is it feasible to gain/ learn that thing which will make me eligible..?

After an evaluation, you will have the answers and then you know what to do.

Quitting will not be an option at all for a determined Person. So.. gain, what ever it takes to be eligible and do whatever it takes to get the job you want.

Regards

Jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jobi for your response. I did look at those points you have highlighted and made amends in order to be marketable and competitive.

Before i got my SAP CRM Certification i was in that challenging space. I was adviced to get a certification which could help since I do not have the industry experience, so I got certified. After that I bought IDES access to practice system navigation and further understand the system so i had IDES online access for SAP CRM as well as SAP ECC6 (Sales and Distribution).

I still face the "experience" challenge which most employers seem to prefer. Some have said i need to network a lot as some employers prefer use of trusted referals and i did my best in that area.

I still remain positive and keep my spirits and hopes high. I even asked to volunteer but it looks like there is too many of us in the same challenging space.

I need that breakthrough, and i will get it.

0 Kudos

Hi Amos,

I dont have any idea about the SAP job scene in your country (i donno which country you are in).

If Experience becomes a mandatory requirement, then better to get it squeezed into your resume into a possible time period.

Try to get into a real-time live project (even if u have to pay for it) then add it as an experience. In my country, there are lot of small companies who provide that, i donno about yours.

And as mentioned, good references will be very helpful for freshers. Someone who is in SAP, if they can refer you for an opening, then ur chances will be very high.

Jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice Jobi. I will look into real-time live projects.

I'm based in Johannesburg, South Africa.

0 Kudos

Amos,

If you enjoyed learning SAP CRM, then don't give up!

Find a good trainer and making him/her your mentor.

Good luck!

TW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you TW.