Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branding Windows(WPF) installers

madan_km
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am currently trying to de-brand the standard WPF using the NSIS software.

I chose to use NSIS software because the following guide from SAP suggests NSIS for branding agentry installers.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smp306sdk/helpdata/en/7c/19bdfe70061014a983f28020881d36/content.htm

But I was facing an error while re compiling the script file as mentioned in the guide.

PFA for the error detail.

Basically the compiler expects a .CAB file during compilation and it was not present on the SDK folder that came along with SMP SDK SP05.

Am I missing some thing here or Am I doing some thing wrong here.

A detailed guide on branding Agentry installers using NSIS wold be much helpful.

If there is one already, please enlighten me.

Thanks In advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

madan_km
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response

In the third step that you have suggested to modify the AgentryClientDotNET.nsi, file.

But this file is not available in the SDK package.

I can see only AgentryClientWinCE.nsi file(which is related to WinCE I persume).

Does AgentryClientDotNET.nsi file comes along with the SDK or I have to get it from some where else.?

BTW I am using SMP SDK SP05.

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Madan,

Please ignore the branding SDK that is only applicable for Windows CE clients.  Start with step 1 in my instructions above and specify a new empty directory for the output.

--Bill

madan_km
Participant
0 Kudos

Bill,

Just to confirm, So the AgentryClientDotNET.nsi file doesn't exist right?

The only way to customize the WPF is to change the relevant config file?

--Madan

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Madan,

Please ignore the SDK file and start with step 1 of my instructions above.  The AgentryClientDotNET.nsi file does exist.  It is extracted from the installer when you execute step one of the process.

The .nsi files control the look and behavior of the installer application not the Agentry client.  If you are interested in only branding the Agentry client then you modify the AgentryClient.exe.config file.  If you also need to brand the installation process you will modify the .nsi files.

--Bill

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos
madan_km
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your response.:) really appreciate it

BTW All the links that you have provided has similar contents to my previous link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smp306sdk/helpdata/en/7c/19bdfe70061014a983f28020881d36/content.htm

What I mainly want to know is

-in all these documents, in the step where customization of the installer is explained, there it is mentioned that

"To create the branding Client installer source, run

ClientWinCE_Branding_sdk.exe"Does this convey that this branding stuff is completely on 'WINCE" devices.

I am currently trying to create custom installer for windows Agentry client and not 'WINCE'.

So can you please let me know how to brand the installer that is "windows" Specific

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Madan,

The documents reference WinCE but the process is very similar for WPF.  In a nutshell you need to perform the following:

1. Extract the branding from the WPF installer
    1. To create the branding Client installer source, run Agentry_70.6.2_ClientDotNET.exe.Use the switch/Branding=[folder name]to put the branding Client installer into a folder of your choice.
  2. Add your branding files to the client as needed
    1. Edit the AgentryClient.exe.config to set things like icon, server URL, etc.
    2. Copy any pre-built database / demo database any other files to the AgentryClient folder
  3. Apply branding to the installer (if needed)
    1. Modify the AgentryClientDotNET.nsi, AgentryClientDotNET_Branding.nsi, and AgentryClientDotNET_Branding_Post.nsi as needed
    2. Edit / copy any files in the Installer directory
  4. Recompile the installer using nsis
    1. makensis.exe /DgVerInstaller=x.y.z.w /DBranding AgentryClientDotNET.nsi
  5. Test the installer

I typically do not apply much if any branding to the installer other than changing the names and the Welcome/Finish images.  Please refer to the NSIS documentation for details on what / how to modify the .nsi files.

--Bill