cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: "SQL Server Setup checks failed"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

In Tr. Code ST04  - Under Alert Tab Iam getting below error...

"3 SQL Server Setup checks failed"

Could any one help me out

Thanks

Yuga.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yuga,

First, ST04 has mostly been replaced by the new transaction DBACOCKPIT. However, they do much the same thing, so it's not a big deal.

Simply saying that "SQL Server Setup checks failed" doesn't tell you much. To drill in further, open the Configuration tab/folder and then double-click on SQL Server Setup Check. This will give you the full list of all the checks that SAP performs and the status of each check (green, yellow, or red). Find out which checks failed, and that will probably point you toward the solution.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

Thanks and

I checked on configuration tab almost all are in Green,Below four points are in yellow .

1.Tempdb has autogrown, for better performance expand tempdb files

2.Tempdb files and the R/3 trx log should not be on the same device

3.R3 db files and log files should not be on the same device

4.The recovery model for the db should be FULL.

So can you please help me why they are in yellow status.

Thanks ,

Yuga.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yuga,

These warning are not very critical.

Maybe 4 is the most important.

But sap system can run successfully with these warning.

But for production system i would fix all of this issue that can cause performance problems.

Please consult with your DBA for 4. It says that transaction logs is not being saved.

You cannot restore your system to specific time.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yuga,

For a sandbox or very small system, they're not critical, which is why they are yellow, not red. However, for a production system, they are important and should be addressed, and in any case, the warnings come up because your system has not been installed per best practices.

1) TempDB is a system database used by SQL Server for a number of functions, such as temporary transactions, etc. How big it needs to be is dependent upon how your system is used. If this is a BW system, it will be used heavily. For an ECC system, not so much, but it is still used. The SQL Server default initial size is only 8 MB, and the SAP installation program, if left to defaults, will increase it to 300 MB. Neither of these is large enough for a typical ECC system, which will normally need several gigabytes. As long as the disk the TempDB is on has enough free space, it will autogrow to the size needed, but autogrowth has a performance impact, so it's better to size it appropriately from the start. I suggest increasing the size of TempDB and then restarting your system (including SQL Server).

2) Just as it says, for performance as well as stability reasons, TempDB and the transaction log should each be on dedicated drives. They should not share a drive. Out of the box, SQL Server will default to putting all databases, system and user, on the same drive, but you should not do that for an SAP installation.

3) Same as in #2, the database and the transaction log need to be on separate drives, for performance reasons primarily, but also because it's safer in the event of a disk crash.

4) This means that you have set your Recovery Model in SQL Server to SIMPLE. This is ok for a sandbox. This is not appropriate for a production system, nor for that matter for a development system, or any system where data integrity and recovery is important. SIMPLE is the default model for Java systems, but not for ABAP systems. Unless this is a sandbox where data loss is unimportant, it is recommended that you set the recovery model to FULL, that you size the transaction log appropriately (and put it on a dedicated drive), and that you back it up regularly.

So, all of the above, taken together, mean that you have some design and reconfiguration work ahead of you. All of it can be achieved without having to resort to reinstalling the system, but it will take a bit of work, and it will need at least a little bit of downtime.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt

Thanks for explanation Matt .

I am fresher so that i am asking in-depth,  

You told that we have to Reconfigure system, you mean DATABASE reconfiguration wright,

If we will reconfigure DB is there any data lose takes place ?

(If it will shows RED mark in production server we need to reconfigure system ?)

Thanks,

Yuga

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yuga,

Yes, I'm talking about reconfiguring your database and database engine, not the SAP installation. You can do this without any data loss, although there will be some downtime.

To move the database or transaction log files, you need to shut down the SAP application, then use the SQL Server Management Studio to detach the database. Then move or copy the files to the new locations you want, then back in the Management Studio attach the database specifying the new file locations. This can be done using the Management Studio's GUI, or via query commands (also via the Management Studio).

To move TempDB is slightly more complex, in that you must use alter database query commands to define the new file locations, and then you must restart SQL Server for it to take effect.

After you have done these things, you can restart the SAP application.

Changing the recovery mode from SIMPLE to FULL can be done while everything is online. Afterwards, you must get a full backup of the database before you can start getting transaction log backups, and you must ensure that you get regular transaction log backups (not only to protect yourself against data loss, but also to prevent the transaction log from becoming full). The recovery mode change itself is made via the database properties dialog in the Management Studio.

Have a look at Note 363018 for a description of the procedure for moving database, log, and tempdb files. It is based on an older version of SQL Server, SQL 7.0, and you can do some of it now via the Management Studio instead of all being query commands, but the query commands described will also work just fine.

Also, look at http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Database Upgrades -> MS SQL Server for access to installation and upgrade guides for SQL Server releases 2000, 2005, 2008, and 2012. The guides are well-written and include SAP's installation recommendations.

I also recommend having a look at my own blogs and . The first one in particular includes a list of useful SAP Notes about configuring SQL Server.

There are many useful documents and blogs in the space that you will find helpful, as well.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for giving lot of information,

Regards,

Yuga

Answers (0)