Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve performance of this select statement (between a large table and view)?

former_member195355
Participant
0 Kudos

Hiya,

I have the following select that takes ages to complete:

select     a~head_no

b~vality_to

appending table lt_itab up to 1 rows from crm_ace_refkey

as a inner join v_acedsoh as b on

b~ref_key = a~ref_key
where a~head_no = ls_kaufn-kaufn.

The crm_ace_refkey table has around 9 million rows and view v_acedsoh has around 20 million rows.

I'm a bit stumped on how anything could be improved so any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Robert,

Your main selection is based on crm_ace_refkey-head_no = ls_kaufn-kaufn but the table field head_no is only part of a key. This will result in a full table scan, that is probably why it is taking so long.

It probably does not help that you are then joining view v_acedsoh again on a non key field.

Do you not have any more key or index fields that you could use instead?

Che

7 REPLIES 7

rajkumarnarasimman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Here we are getting single row from that table, in that case, I hope it is not required to use the INNER JOIN concept.

Kindly split the select conditions and check the performance.

select     a~head_no

a~ref_key

into (l_headno, l_refkey) up to 1 rows from crm_ace_refkey

where head_no = ls_kaufn-kaufn.

select   b~vality_to

from v_acedsoh

where ref_key = l_refkey up to 1 rows.

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Robert,

Your main selection is based on crm_ace_refkey-head_no = ls_kaufn-kaufn but the table field head_no is only part of a key. This will result in a full table scan, that is probably why it is taking so long.

It probably does not help that you are then joining view v_acedsoh again on a non key field.

Do you not have any more key or index fields that you could use instead?

Che

0 Kudos

Hi both,

Thanks for your help.

Table crm_ace_refkey has an index for head_no, so I don't think that's the issue. As you mention it's probably the join with the v_acedsoh view that is causing the slow performance...

I've managed to find a couple of extra fields to use in the select and these seem to help.

Would you see any problems with using the following code - it certainly runs much faster:

select    a~head_no

b~vality_to

appending table lt_itab up to 1 rows from crm_ace_refkey

b~ref_key = a~ref_key
where a~head_no = ls_kaufn-kaufn.

and  b~comp   = p_comp
and  b~bukrs  = p_bukrs.

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

In my system there is no index on CRM_ACE_REFKEY-HEAD_NO only on CRM_ACE_REFKEY-REF_KEY. Ideally you would want to use CRM_ACE_REFKEY-LOGSYS and CRM_ACE_REFKEY-PROCESS_TYPE.

If this is not possible then what you propose will work, as you say it is already faster than what you had.

I am not sure if this will make any difference but it's worth a try:

select a~head_no b~vality_to appending table lt_xref3 up to 1 rows from
crm_ace_refkey

b~comp    = p_comp
and  b~bukrs   = p_bukrs

and b~ref_key = a~ref_key
where a~head_no = p_kaufn.

Che

0 Kudos

Thanks Che,

I think the index on head-no for CRM_ACE_REFKEY is a Z index created by us - I'll need to check in the morning...

I'm not sure your code would work, as both comp and bukrs need to exist in both crm_ace_refkey and v_acedsoh whereas they just exist in just v_acedsoh

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice.

che_eky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No they only need exist in v_acedsoh. Try it next time.

0 Kudos

Hi Che,

Yes, you are right! The statement does work.

However, and I don't understand why, it is slower than the solution I wrote:

However it is still faster than the previous logic - so I'll mark your answer as correct.

Thanks again