cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packaging in Planning Sequence Execution in Process Chains

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have a planning sequence for which I have configured it to run by Packages.

Even after multiple configurations, the planning sequence fails.

For e.g, if I set packaging with no. values 5000, for running a planning sequence for 1000 records, it processed with 966 records and the remaining 34 is not processed.

If I reduce the data to be processed via planning sequence is 600, still 570 alone is processed and the planning sequence fails.

I would like to know the background of packaging and would need to know how to set optimal packaging for a successful planning sequence execution.

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Br, Harish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Harish,

we are facing with same issue. can you please let us know, if you have manged to find the root cause or solution for the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Dharnesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dharnesh,

Execute Change Run for all Infoobjects that are planned for CR.

Then  PF should work.

br

P

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

I never used the functionality, though I thought you have to set the packages via master data values.

So I don´t really understand, what you mean by no. of values. Are you counting data records or master data records?

Is there any aggregation done before the sequence runs?

Does the sequence run with your expected no. of records = 1000 in planning modeler?

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cornelia,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have set the packages with dimension tables instead of master data. I don't have any concrete grounds on this setting though.

The No. values is the automatic proposal given for my planning sequence.

How to define aggregation before executing planning sequence?

Yes, my sequence automatically distributes the number of records equally to number of packages I have specified.

In spite of many settings I have tried, No Packaging, Packaging (no/automatic/default configuration), the sequence fails.

I have gone through the below URL for understanding.

Scheduling Planning Sequences in Process Chains - Planning Business Data with BW Integrated Planning...

Still, I'm not sure what is the optimal setting for executing a planning sequence

Could you please advise on this?

Br, Harish

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

if I understan dit right, the difference between master data and dimension is, that the packages are created either by the master data table of the selected characteristic or by the values already booked in the info provider.

to influence what the system is doing, I would not choose the automatic packaging, but I would choose a characteristic manually. as described in SAP help, it has to be one, that is not changing in any of your planning functions. What is it, what you are planning? It´s hard to suggest which char to take, maybe a customer, or cost center ...

how many functions are in your sequence? could you try to start with a sequence and just one function? and then if that one runs, add the other functions one by one.

also check again your locking characteristics. In SAP help it describes something about a join of filters by a master process. And your error message suggests, that there is something wrong with this master process.

Also make sure, that there are no locks by any users while you are running the sequence.

And make sure that you do have enough background proceses for the process chain.

That´s pretty much all the ideas that I have so far. But don´t hesitate to give a bit more information about what the functions are doing, maybe I get some additioanl ideas.

good luck

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Cornelia,

Many thanks for you response and the hints. It's quite helpful.

To answer your questions,

1. I'm using single planning function in my sequence. The PF is standard copy

I copy a set of opportunities against which manual planning is made.

The copy is from source real time cube to target infocube

2. I used this opportunity number as my packaging characteristic and i also ensure that there are no locks by end users during this copy.

3. I quite don't understand about the master process. What I'm thinking is, if my master process is wrong, the entire planning sequence should fail. But it has processed successfully for some opportunities.

4. Also, before executing the planning function, i deactivated my data slice and then activate it after completion of planning function.

Let me know if you need any more details on this.

Br, Harish

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

it all sounds correct.

I will try to find some time later to build a similar scenario - it just interests me 🙂

But maybe there is a system error, so I suggest you also open a note on that one.

regards

Cornelia

sheldon_piao
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Can you provide the more information about the error (error message or dump information)?

Best Regards,
Sheldon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sheldon,

Many thanks for your reply.

The error message is

Subprocess 33 was not successful.

Master cannot read return value from subprocess 33.

Unfortunately, there's no long text exists for the above error message.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Br, Harish

sheldon_piao
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I guess there is some dump in ST22, isn't it ?

Best regards,
Sheldon.