Turning on logging for a single table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options

JServer Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production

System: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

-

Hello SAP/Oracle experts. Happy Easter to you all.

What transaction would you use to turn on logging for a single table ???? Can this be done for a single table, if so where would you view the log??

Thanks for your time and help

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

raghupathi_p
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi

Logging on data changes allows you to record changes to the table entries automatically.

Table logging brings down the  system over all performance.

The logging on data can be stored in "DBTABLOG" file.

You can execute it in the t-code "SCU3".

parameter used in this file is "rec/client'.

Hope it will help you.

Regards

Raghupathi P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a need to turn on logging for a single table for audit purposes. However, we do not have logging turned on now. If I look at the list of tables in SCU3, it shows all tables that have been checked for logging - it is a very long list. Since logging is not turned on now and we need this only for one table, should be unchecking the long list of tables first before checking the one we want logs for? Then what is the impact of transporting these changes over to production? Is there anyone that has had to do this? If yes, what was the impact?

Thanks,

Padma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Padma,

How are you doing? This is what we did but we could not turn logging on for a single table:

First some documentation from SAP:

Log data changes

The logging flag defines whether changes to the data records of a table should be logged. If logging is activated, every change (with UPDATE, DELETE) to an existing data record by a user or an application program is recorded in a log table in the database.

Note: Activating logging slows down accesses that change the table. First of all, a record must be written in the log table for each change. Secondly, many users access this log table in parallel. This could cause lock situations even though the users are working with different application tables.

Dependencies

Logging only takes place if parameter rec/client in the system profile is set correctly. Setting the flag on its own does not cause the table changes to be logged.

The existing logs can be displayed with Transaction Table history (SCU3).

After setting up the above to acutally activate logging you must use transaction SE11. Enter the Database table, click on display, click on technical setting and make sure Log data changes is checked off.

After doing all this and than checking SCU3 we found out that all the tables are still checked for logging. So we are still trying to find out how to turn on logging for a single table.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vedi and Vinodh:

Thanks for your help and sorry for the misunderstanding your both correct. Logging only takes place if parameter re/client in the system profile is set correctly. Than you can use SCU3 to display the existing logs.....

Thanks for your help .....just learning as I go.........

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can use SCU3 to check the table logging. CLick on `list of logged tables` to check whether the table that you are interested is already marked for logging.

Award points if it solves your problem.

regards,

Vinodh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinodh,

When I use transaction SCU3 there is a message stating that

Table logging is not currently active. How would you turn on table logging ???

I would use rec/client=ALL in my SAP provile as Vedi suggested but this means

that I would have to stop and start SAP and I am not in the position to do that.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

If this is for audit purpose ?

I would use SAP instead of oracle based, it is hard to see the result in oracle.

in SAP profile turn on rec/client=ALL

And enter the table you want to log in table DD09L

after all set, use program rstbhist to see the changes.

regards,

vedi