cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easy way to change a table name in Data Insight views?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I have created multiple views in Information Steward Data Insight with rules and scorecards based on one database table in the source database. Now I have been told the table I used is going to be deleted and there is another table with same fields and data I need to use now. I want to know if there is an easy way in Information Steward to just replace the table name in all the views using this table that is going to be deleted. I would appreciate your help and guidance.

Message was edited by: Julie Oliver

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Purvi,

The easiest option would be to create a database view on top of the new table with the same naming as the original table.

Regards

Nigel

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or try with a synonym

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nigel! That seems to be great solution. Have you already tried this before? By creating view on top of new table with the same name won't break anything on Data Insight, meaning I do not need to modify view and re-bind rules and reconfigure scorecards. Correct?

Thanks Dirk! Have you already tested with synonym before?

I appreciate the quick replies

Regards,

Purvi.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not yet. But why don't you give it a try yourself? And let us know if it works .

0 Kudos

As long as the view has the same name as the original table and the view columns are named the same as the original table columns you should not need to modify anything in IS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nigel for confirming! I appreciate your help!!

Dirk, I think Synonym may be a good work around and it will work but in my opinion it is not a good practice to keep table and synonym different. My DBAs would like to keep it consistent. I think I will go with creating view on new table with same name as old table which reduces amount of rework and is safe. I appreciate your help and quick replies!

Regards,

Purvi.