cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct access : no more than one user can connect at a time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you use the direct access, the date source ODBC use the id and password of the dba account for the db and it suppose to be that way.

But If one user use direct access and an another one try direct access too, he have the error window "Sybase ODBC Driver Sql Anywhere: the limit of connection to the data base is reach".

I did check the connection to the bd on the server and if it reach more than 5 connection (3 for some system on the server and 2 for the one direct acces), no one else can do a direct access after that. It only when the first user disconnect than another one can connect and so on.

I did search and lean about Sql Anywhere ( I don't know anything about Sql Anywhere) and no luck yet. For what I have found on the net, the problem do exist but I found nothing related to the powerdesigner context.

It must be a simple option somewhere....

Thank

Bernard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You might be running SQLAnywhere as a personal server. To use PowerDesigner effectively with SQLAnywhere, you must use the Network Server. You can copy the ODBC information from the SQLAnywhere 12 CustDB sample in the ODBC administrator. I have attached a copy of my Login tab for my ODBC definition of SQLAnywhere.

HTH,

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delay.

I ask the person who manage our servers at my cie to check on this but still waitng for a answer...I get the impression that it was the server edition that was install because he only do that instal softwares on servers.

Bt the way, connection with the proxy work fine and the web portal too.

I will keep you inform.

Thank

Bernard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Since, we finally only access with the recommand way: by the proxy, I will not put more time on the direct access problem for now.

But I will eventually look into this because I want to know what is wrong.

I don't want to let that problem go unsolved.

I will keep you inform in time.

Thank

Bernard

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As Matt said - they are probably using dbengXX instead of dbsrvXX, even if it is installed on a 'server' host.  dbengXX does not open any ports for communication, but instead uses a shared-memory ODBC driver.

They could be starting the database engine as a service or the proxy is starting via ODBC, first, then the portal is connecting via jConnect to the already-running engine.

As they are running the proxy and portal on the same machine, your observations would support this conclusion.

Chris

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

One other thing - if the above is wrong, and they are actually running dbsrvXX provided with the PowerDesigner installation, it is the authenticated edition of PD and can only be connected to by PD.

In that case, you must also ensure that the database has the authentication information applied to it to allow the server (dbsrvXX) to accept network connections.

Locate the <PowerDesigner>\Tools\authenticate.sql script and apply it to the database.

This is documented in the Installation Guide -> Installing the Repository -> Installing and Authenticating SQL Anywhere.  Step 6.

If the SQL Anywhere is a full-use license purchase, this step is not required.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

thank for the detail information. I think that we are on the right track.

For what I Know, the installation was done by a dba that has follow the installation guide, that what I was toll... I did take a look into that installation and note the step 6 that your taking about.  And I confirm that Powerdesigner installation did included the sql Anywhere (the authenticated edition of PD).

I will take a look into that authenticate.sql to make sure that was done and confirm that dbsrvXX is running. By the way, I had only restricted access to that server of powerdesigner (the server is dedicated to Powerdesigner only) so I had to ask the dba to do what I would do and this can take time...

At least the proxy access and the portal access are functionning ok

thank again.

Bernard

Answers (0)