cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services OS technical deployment possibilities and licensing

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm new to Data Services. My questions are:

1. Is it technically possible to run some of the server components on Solaris and some on Linux, e.g. host the web tier on linux while the job server and access server are on solaris.

2. If this is technically possible, would it require two licenses - one for solaris and another for linux? (I've seen where other products are licensed by operating system and unbundling is prohibited. Is this the case or is this applicable to the scenario described here?)

Thanks

Message was edited by: Julie Oliver

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Firstly, the licence covers you to distribute the software on any mix of OSs.

Secondly, yes, it is technically possible to have any component on any supported OS, and you can mix and match as required (in fact if you use Information Steward some components only run on Windows).

If you require a highly available solution, you would be well advised to put the components on separate machines, we (SAP) do this with our HEC customers as it offers greater flexibility for load balancing.

The thing with Data Services is that people use it in very different ways, if you have a simple set-up with only batch jobs, all on one server might be the way to go.  However if you have multiple batch and real-time jobs, use the web service, use Informaion Steward, etc. you might get benefit from splitting across mutiple servers.  There is no real right or wrong, just be wary of answers that don't qualify the advice.

Michael

former_member213365
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I haven't tried it myself but I think it would be possible to run Tomcat on one machine, IPS on a second and then the Job Server on a third.  I think you would be absolutely nuts to go to that length.  The install would suck and the maintenance and upgrades would be even worse.

Sometimes, the customer isn't always right.  If one of my clients wanted that I then would ensure that they were willing to pay me a bunch of money and that I didn't have to support it.  But I would be emphatic that it was not a good idea at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We run web/IPS and DS Job Server on one machine in Production with no problems (4CPU, 16GB RAM, Windows 2012). Web/IPS use a little CPU and some memory, but unless your jobs and data sets are enormous it probably won't affect it much. Sitting idle this uses about 4GB RAM, OS and other services included.

I wouldn't also try to cram a DB on the same machine though.

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why would you want to do that? The web tier is inactive 99% of the time, and when it isn't, it is not using too many resources either.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Documents I've read - and it's been a couple months sinced I've read them, and, again, I'm new to Data Services - but my notes indicate that  a single host for the web app server, dbServer and all IPS server will be sufficient for Small apps, but for a Produciton environment the Web App Server is recommended to have it's own server.   The why mix operating systems is more at the customers request.