cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on Installing Information Steward

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I installed Data Services and IPS on one server. I am planning to install IS on separate server. IS Installtion did not allow to move to next steps, since the prerequistes did not meet. IPS is not found on the IS server.

I thought install IS on a separate server and share webcomponents with IPS/DS server.

Questions: Is this scenario possible or not?

Do i need to install IS on where DS and IPS installed?

I cannot install IS on DS server due to licensing model we have.

Any ideas?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Information Steward requires components from both IPS and Data Services in order to function.  You need to have all three installed on the same server.

Depending on your license for Information Steward, you may be able to use a temporary license for you Data Services installation for Information Steward just to do the installation.  You would then run under your Information Steward license when running.  You may need to check with Business Objects on what your license allows.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John,

Thanks for the clarification. We have different licensing structure for Data Services and Information Steward. I need to check if there is any temporary licensing for DS to use with IS.

Here is what i am going to do.

Server -1, Install IPS, DS - Use the DS license (Full)- Use this server exclusively for DS purpose.

Server -2, Install IPS, Install necessary components of DS for IS (with temp license if any), IS- Use this server exclusively for IS developement purpose.

Any comments on my above approach.

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think that should work.  Your Server-2 is essentially what we have.  We did a full installation of DS on the server though because it wasn't real clear to us what components were used by Information Steward.  The Information Steward license limits what can be done with the Data Services pieces.  At least that is what SAP told us.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks. Check below link if you have not see what is DS components required by IS

Installing Information Steward without Data Services - Enterprise Information Management - SCN

Wiki

In our case we have core based license for DS and IS individually. My concen was which license to use for DS on IS server- DS full license or DS temp license (Which i don't have ).

I will confirm with SAP supoort.

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you have an S-ID for access to the Support Site and have permission to download keys, you can get temporary keys for all of the software.  They are available in the License Keys area.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

But Temp keys are only for trial period.

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, but they will last long enough for you to install the softare.  That's really all you need.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Jawahar,

We are planning on installing IPS,DS and IS exactly the way you mentioned and am not sure why it would be an issue to install following the same architecture?

2 VM boxes

Box 1 will have IPS and DS

Box 2 will have IS components and while installing, i thought i could point to IPS on box1

You mentioned just running the IS installer did not allow you to proceed as the minimal requirements were not met to install IS.

Do you think it would help if I installed it the other way around?

Box 1 - IPS and IS

Box 2 - DS

I am not sure if i will run into the same issue when installing DS on box 2 (not meeting min. requirements)

I would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on how to install IPS, DS and IS across 2 boxes.

Goal is to use both IS (data insights) and DS (ETL) enterprise wide

Thanks in advance.

Raghav

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Our scenario is different, due to licensing restrictions, we are not allowed to install DS and IS. But later on i came to know that, You can use the license of IS and use it in DS so we will not be voilating the licensing agrrements. IS will come with minimum version of DS license.

In our case, we have separate environment for DS full version alone (DS and IPS) to use for ETL and

IS  (IS, IPS, DS (scaled down version) is separate.

0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

Thanks for your reply. It helps, but still need a little more clarification

In your environment, you have DS full version in a single box and IS (IPS,DS (scaled down) and IS) on another box? Is there an install order you followed for IS implementation in your environment

-> IPS, DS (Scaled down) and IS components?

I am assuming DS scaled down includes the below services if we need to use data insights

DS Metadata Browsing Service

DS View Data Service

DS Job Server

DS Repository Manager

DS Server Manager

Assuming, i go ahead with your installation architecture,

BOX 1 - I will have IPS and DS

BOX 2 - I will have IPS and IS

can i utilize, DS components from Box1 for IS data insight requirements?

Also, Can i utilize, IPS on BOX 1 when i install IS on Box 2 without explicitly installing another IPS.

Sorry for troubling you with so many questions.

Thank you for your help.

Raghav

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In our environment, DS/IPS in one box. That is completely different from IS environment. We have another environment just for IS. IPS/DS/IS all in one box.

IPS CMS DB is different for DS and IS servers. Our IS is still in POC stage, so we installed DS full version different from IS environment.

In your case you can install IPS on one server, DS and IS in another server.

There is no need to install 2 IPS servers, if you don't want to isolate the environment of DS and IS.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply, Jawahar. It helps!

I will keep you posted on my progress and let you know if i have any additional questions.

Regards,

Raghav