cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal report for Eclipse - user guide location (link?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am still looking for the user guide for CR4E. 

I downloaded the all in one.  'cr4e-all-in-one-win_2.0.17.zip'  and have created a simple report. 

I found a getting started guide, but not the user manual (for CR for  Eclipse).

I did download a user guide titled:  

'SAP Crystal Reports 2013 User Guide  ■ SAP Crystal Reports 2013 Support Package 1 2013-08-03'

However this environment doesn't match the eclipse environment.  

(the formula editor, and Select Expert described in the manual, do not match eclipse's environment.  (SAP crystal reports  2013 (manual) , looks very much CR XI.  )

I guess I'm confused on the SAP crystal reports products, and how they inter-operate. 

I am now wondering if the eclipse environment is mostly used after reports are created, in....   a stand alone report environment.  <?>

We are migrating from CR XI, and wish to server  reports in a html (or .jsp) environment.  (w/ live and saved data).

What product mix would be recommended? 

Am I correct that few reports are actually created in the eclipse environment? 

(what product should I use to create /migrate our existing reports, and create new ones?)

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you can use CR4E with the CR for Eclipse SDK.  CR for Eclipse is for "classic" Crystal report, such as those created in Crystal 2013.

Instead, I believe you have to use the RESTful Web Services SDK to work with CR4E.  More information about that is available here:  .

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please expand on how CR4E is used with 'classic' crystal reports? 

(is there some documentation that explains how to use .rpt file in eclipse?)

our current crystal reports is 11.0.0.1282  (is that still  called XI ?)

and can I use our current reports in eclipse. 

When I go to this link above, (http) scn.sap.com/community/restful-sdk 

Where would I find the documentation for this, (these) products? 

are they linked in 'related resources'  or is that just a list of popular links?

or, is the 'Featured content'  the documentation for this product(s)... 

I still don't  really understand how SCN is organized....

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

CR4E (Crystal for Enterprise) is separate software.  It only works with Crystal Reports Server 2011/2013 or BusinessObjects 4.x.

If you're using "CR4E" to refer to "Crystal for Eclipse", you confused me!

For more complete information about Crystal for Eclipse, try posting here: 

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thought CR4E was crystal report for Eclipse...   but what do I know... LOL...

I still don't know which products I want or need. 

See, that's the thing, you have to know the products to know which one(s) you need... and if you don't you're stuck... 

I guess I will try something else, even if its wrong.

Thanks again for your help!

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What specifically are you trying to do?  I assume you're trying to run/view/export your reports using code.  Here are some options:

Java

Run/view/export reports from BusinessObjects (BO) or Crystal Reports Server (CRS):  Use the BI Platform Java SDK.  See here for more information: 

Run/view/export Crystal reports that are not in BO or CRS:  Use Crystal for Eclipse.  See the link I posted earlier for more information.

.NET

Run/view/export reports from BO or CRS:  Use the BI Platform .NET SDK.  See here for more information:

Run/view/export reports that are not in BO or CRS:  Use Crystal for Visual Studio.  See here for more information: 

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Java would be the preferred route.

We don't use .NET,

We have done some Visual Studio development, but try to go with open source where possible.

We were using IBM's RAD (eclipse) but are going to Netbeans.

(quote:

Java

Run/view/export reports from BusinessObjects (BO) or Crystal Reports Server (CRS):  Use the BI Platform Java SDK.  See here for more information:  Java SDK Application Development

/quote)

Now, I'm wondering if the 'Crystal Reports Server' is similar to what we call B.O.E. (Business Objects Enterprise, and access via the CMC, (Central Management Console, (server admin),  or Infoview (customer level access, to run rpts).

I will look into the Java SDK appl development, you listed...

(do you have any guidance on where I could find product downloads, and documentation once I open the page?  )

under BI SDK library? (under related resources/ references)  

(which opens a table of documenation, I downloaded:   (developer guide)

SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform 4.0 (BI document access and administration)Business Intelligence platform Java SDK

aka:   xi4_boejava_dg_en.zip  (-this is a html manual.)

so I will need the product(s)  for this document?

from that document:

(quote/

Setting up the development environment

If you are developing against the SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform SDK, the Report Application Server SDK, or incorporating report viewing into your application using the Crystal Report viewers, there are many components to install and configure. Your  web.xml file must be configured to take advantage of SDK settings, specific JAR files must be deployed with your web application to utilize the SDKs, and certain prerequisite software must be installed.

/quote)

So I need to find:

1) SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform SDK,  (download)

2) Report Application Server SDKor cystal report views (as in the CR 4 Eclipse?) 

3) add the SDK libs to the war file,

4) deploy the dll's  libs with the appl.

5)  and certain prerequisite software must be installed.  -( what would those will be? )

-This is the route I will travel next week....    unless I hear otherwise.

Thank you very much!

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, CRS is a subset of the functionality on what is now called the BI Platform, which is part of the SAP BuinsessObjects (BOE) suite.  It includes the CMC, etc. but it is single-server and only works with Crystal Reports - there is no Webi, Explorer, etc.

You can get the Java SDK in a couple of places - the CRS and BOE server installs or the BI Platform Client Tools install.  Both of these are available if you have a license for the system.  I think the server installs are available as trial software as well.

-Dell

Answers (0)