cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem instantiating a command object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello;

I am using SQL Anywhere 16 Developer (build 2052) to write a small Windows Form C# application.

When I try to run the application, the application freezes on the line "SAConnection oSaConn = new SAConnection();"

SQL Anywhere writes thousands of folders containing "dbData16.dll".  The program will error out when it runs out

of disk space.

Has anyone seen these behavior?

I know there is an update for SQL Anywhere 16, but I can't download it since I am using the Development Version.

Tech support referred me to this site for help.

Thank you for your help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello;

Thank you all for your help.  I will  need to move on and look for other solutions.

I appreciate your feedback.

Please mark as closed.

Best Regards,

Juan Gonzalez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mirco,

Thanks for the reply.

I get the same behavior.  The sample project you suggested will not load.  It starts creating thousands of temporary folders with dbdata16.dll.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the SQL Anywhere 12, and SQl Anywhere 16 in hopes that the newer version would not have the issue.

Somewhere, I did not save the url, that the problem may be solved by installing the latest service packs.  That's why I downloaded SQL Anywhere 16 developer version.  But, it also has a service pack I can't get to because it is a Developer version and I don't have a service agreement.

-Juan

jeff_albion
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Try running Process Monitor on your .NET application to see if it is encountering any issues with extracting the dbdata16.dll file (i.e. permissions, etc.). If the assembly can't extract the DLL in the expected path, it will try a different path. Other problems may include race conditions (you are just running the one .NET application with a single connection, correct?).

What is the path that the dbdata16 DLLs are getting extracted to?

Regards,

Jeff Albion

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

The file is extracted under the "users\username\appdata\local\temp" folder.  The dbdata16.dll is extracted into thousands of unique folder name (the folder names are guid).  I checked the permissions for this folder location and I have full access (read, write, delete, change).

Yes, I am running a single instance.  I am also un able to change the user interface at design time if it requires a connection to the database, it freezes extracting the dbdata16.dll and I have to kill the Visual Studio 2010 session.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Juan Gonzalez

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

FWIW Visual Studio 2013 is free to download, perhaps it will not behave the same way with SQL Anywhere 16.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beck;

I've tried VS 2008, 2010, and 2013.  I have not tried the new Pre-Release of VS 2015.  The same problem exists with SQL Anywhere 12 and SQL Anywhere 16.  I have re-installed both versions of SQL Anywhere and I have re-installed Visual Studio 2010 and I've tried fixing the .NET frameworks.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Juan Gonzalez

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you able to try it on a different computer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have compiled the application and run it on a few computers with the same result.  The application freezes and create a gazillion temp folders with dbdata16.dll in it.

The only thing I have not tried is applying the latest Sql Anywhere patch.  I am hopping that that would fix the problem.  Since, I am running the Developer version I don't have access to the patch.

I was hopping that someone else had come across this problem.

-Juan

former_member207653
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Can you run the Simple sample application on your machine without issues? It is in

%SQLANYSAMP16%\SQLAnywhere\ADO.NET\SimpleWin32.

DocCommentXchange

Thank you,

Mirco

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

> Tech support referred me to this site for help.

AFAIK if you qualify for tech support, and you reached tech support, they should not refer you to a volunteer site.

This is not an answer to your question, just some additional information: The following documentation page describes the mechanism whereby dbdata16.dll is created; it does not explain why the process might run away and use up all the disk space: The SQL Anywhere .NET Data Provider dbdata DLL