cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on monitoring poor performance in BIWS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We have a strange behavior with all our Dashboard on SAP 4.0 SP5 FP3 with BIWS connexions.  1 time on 10 (approx.) the BI Web Service connexion take so long.  I mean in normal circonstance, it take 2 seconds, then it take 30 seconds, 1 minute and more to return the result.

We build a Jmeter scenario to find a pattern without success.

Just to help, by example it when we call this.

/dswsbobje/qaawsservices/queryasaservice/biws?cuid=AVBUa5WAagZFmFxSbw77INI&authType=secEnterprise&locale=fr_CA&timeout=60&ConvertAnyType=true

I know it depend a lot of things, and we try a lot of things too but I'm trying to isolate where it take so long.

What we do so far.

1) Close all services not needs.  That means at the end it keep only

CMS, Input / Output, APS Visualization, APS Webi, WebiPS.  (No need Dashboard services...on only BIWS)

2) I try to captures E2E traces but can't figure out what to check...Too much lines.

Wow!

3) One interresting test I made is try to open dashboard on production where the problem is and call BIWS on acceptance environnement where it's always fast.  The result it's still slow.  So, I don't think it's not the web services by itself which is slow.  It's probably the CMS, the network, the disk.

We have a big environnement , we run thousand reports per day.  So it's probably not the disk or the network...But we never know.

Any idea where to look ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to help (maybe) people with this problem which we think we find why it's slow in some cases.

What we realize is the fact that if webi instance (last instance) where you consume the web service is big, and I talk here the hole instance , not only the block you define for your web service.  If the instance is big, it make all the difference,

So, if you have a webi for 300,000 lines but your web service contain only 50 lines, BO will retreive all 300,000 first, like if you view last instance in lauchpad

We try to understand why BO doing this.  And the only reason we can find is because in some cases you would like to filter on your web service outside of the block you define.

BO should think about this and give us a way to disable the filtering outside.

So the solution we try now is to build send the web service to excel, and build another web service on top of this.  This we finalize with only 50 lines.

Hope it help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

I am glad that you could find a workaround to achieve desired behavior.

It was just you at the moment. However, there might be many who face such issue.

Why don't you go ahead and submit this filtering idea at SAP Ideas Place: ideas.sap.com

Thank you for your response back on this post.

Regards,

Tejas

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Patrick,

Need your help on how you achieved your work around.

I'm having the same issue dealing with huge data.

Can you please post the detail steps.

Thanks in advance!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Performance issues take real long to get resolved as there could be multiple things you may need to focus on.

When you say you are using BIWS,

1. Did you check how long are the reports taking to run completely?

2. Execution time to retrieve the data at datasouce/database level?

3. Any certain time during which you face this issue?

4. Do all reports give the same behavior?

Performance issue is dependent on network latency also. You might need to check that too.

Tuning server parameters would definitely help you. Check Application Server parameters too.

Regards,

Tejas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tejas for the rêply,

In that business scenario, BIWS (BI Web Service) is taken last instance of a report.  The poor performance is intermittant but during all the day, on all Dashboard with BIWS on last instance.

And the sames dashboard on different envrionment are very fast and stable.  So,yes there is a  difference and I'm trying to find where.

Biggest difference is

Load balancing, Clustering and Sharing drive.  Everything else on the platform run perfectly.

I suspect the CMS but at the same time, like I said in test 1, I close all my server and keep only the CMS, Input, output, web vizualization and webips.  No web balancing, no clustering.

I need help or hint how to catch the problem.

Thanks