Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition tables BSIS,BSAD,BSAS,BKPF

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am looking to partition the above tables on our ERP 6 EHP2 system.

I've read sap notes 742243 & 722188 but still not sure which is the best approach or partition type to use.

We ideally want to separate by Company Code (BUKRS) if possible but I don't have LIST partition type available to me in the ABAP Dictionary (SE14) only RANGE.  SAP BASIS is 700 SP15.

What I am hoping someone can tell me is if RANGE can be used and what pitfalls I might experience.  Or can I do the work on Oracle directly should that be required to use LIST partition type and if so how without losing any data?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

>> What I am hoping someone can tell me is if RANGE can be used and what pitfalls I might experience.

In general - yes you can do that, but please keep in mind that the column BUKRS is VARCHAR2(12) and no numeric data type. This is a bad design flaw by SAP (in my opinion) not to use the correct data type for numeric values. So depending on your used BUKRS values you may can use wild cards or search pattern.

>> Or can I do the work on Oracle directly

Yes, you can do that. I have also done this several times for special partitioning schemes.

>> should that be required to use LIST partition type and if so how without losing any data?

You can use the DEFAULT partition attribute for LIST partitioning to map unknown list values to a default partition. So no data loss or better said no ORA error at all. Oracle documentation: Creating Partitions

Regards

Stefan

former_member204618
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the response.

If I were to go down the route of using Oracle how do I do it without losing any data?  The documentation always refers to create table statement!  I want to alter existing tables not create new ones.

Also when specifying the partitions within SE14 do I need to populate all of the fields :-

FieldValue
PARTITION NAMEP1
HIGH VALUE'5000'
TABLESPACE
INITIAL EXTENT
NEXT EXTENT
MINIMUM EXTENTS
MAXIMUM EXTENTS
PCT INCREASE
FREELISTS
FREELIST GROUPS
PCT FREE
PCT USED
INITIAL TA-ENTRIES

Or will they simply inherit from the table definition?

When I test this in DEV how do I revert the table back to it's original state as in remove all partitions, again without losing any data?

Thanks

Craig

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi,

you can partitioning using online reorganization, which is "online"

BRSPACE would be the tool. You can stop the reorganization before creating the interim table and you modify the DDL to create the partitions.

you can also check the SAP Note 1333328 "Partition engine for Oracle" which provides "a tool" to "easily" partition some SAP tables. It does not apply for the tables you want to use but it gives you an idea on how to use BRSPACE for this task

Answers (0)