cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Crystal Reports 2013 support ODBC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does Crystal Reports and Crystal Server 2013 support ODBC connection with iSeries Access ODBC Driver version 13?  We recently upgraded from Crystal Server 2008 V1 SP3 (Windows Server 2003 SP2 32-bit) to Crystal Server 2013 SP5 (Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit).

Thanks,

Kim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, but you have to create a 32-bit ODBC System DSN - Crystal is 32-bit software and requires 32-bit database drivers in order to connect, even on 64-bit operating systems.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

Can you point me to documentation that shows it as supported?  That would be very helpful to me.  My reports are running slower on Crystal Server 2013 and I was told that was because ODBC was no longer supported and that only JDBC or DB2 connect v10.1 is supported with IBM iSeries 7.1 database.

Thanks,

Kim

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, it looks like I was wrong.  Looking at the CR 2013 Data Access link (http://sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/f0326dcb-13b0-3010-4e9c-9efe46ab41ed) from the Crystal 2013 Product Availability Matrix, it doesn't list the Data Direct ODBC connection as a way to connect to DB2 version 7.1.  It just lists the following:

7.1DB2 CAENewDB2
  Connect v10.1
JDBC  NewDB2 Universal
  JDBC Driver

I made the assumption that because Crystal works with so many other ODBC drivers and because in the past it used the Data Direct ODBC driver to connect to DB2, that that type of ODBC connection would work on this version of DB2.

-Dell

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kim

Not sure where the idea of CR no longer supporting ODBC came from - I hope not from "official" SAP documentation anyhow...

Here is a link to the PAM for CR 2013:

Supported datasources starts on page 9.

As for:

My reports are running slower on Crystal Server 2013

Make sure that both the server and the designer are on the same patch level and the latest patch level.

Next

Compare the performance in the CR 2013 designer to CR 2008 designer. Are these comparable?

Verifying the database in the CR 2013 designer will also be a good idea.

And what sort of performance difference are we actually looking at? Seconds, minutes?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

When I look at that PAM for CR 2013 and clicked on the CR 2013 Data Access file on page 9, under IBM DB2 for iSeries 7.1, I only see middleware type DB2 CAE and JDBC.  I don't see ODBC listed at all.  Would it be possible that it is supported, but hasn't been added to the documentation yet? 

As for my reports running slower, both the server and designer are on SP5.  Performance in CR 2013 & CR 2008 designer are the same.  When I schedule report to run through the CMC on the server is where CR 2013 reports run a lot slower than on CR 2008.  For example, a report that takes 2 minutes to run on Crystal Server 2008 will take 5 minutes to run on Crystal Server 2013.

Thanks,

Kim

0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

If you have a 64 bit version of that ODBC driver/DB2 Client try creating the same DSN in the 64 bit ODBC Administrator.

It could be the Connection server is slowing down due to having to use a 32 bit client.

As for the documentation, both DEll and Ludek are correct. Even though it's not list CR always supports ODBC. QA just has not tested it for what ever reason.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

So our ODBC driver shouldn't be the cause of the slowness at all?  So it should be ok for me to use the IBM iAccess ODBC Driver version 13?  Our database is IBM DB2 for iSeries 7.1.  We are running Crystal Server 2013 on Windows 2008 R2, 64-bit.

I did have both the 32 and 64-bit DSN setup using the same name on the server running Crystal Server 2013, but it didn't seem to improve performance at all.  I have my Maximum Concurrent Jobs set to 7 under the AdaptiveJobServer.  Is there anywhere else I need to set values to 7?

When I run the reports on the server, the Crystal Server 2013 jobs seems to be building the .tmp files a lot slower than the Crystal Server 2008 jobs.  I've submitted a batch of jobs and just watched the .tmp files on the old server and the new server for comparison and noticed that .

Thanks,

Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

I'm using SQL Anywhere 12 (bundled with 2013) for my Crystal database.  I saw that BI4_Audit_DSN and BI4_CMS_DSN is set up using the 64 bit SQL Anywhere 12 Driver under the 64-Bit ODBC for the System DSN.  Do I need a 32-bit SQL Anywhere 12 Driver and set up the Audit and CMS data source for 32-bit ODBC also?  I'm trying to figure out if that could be the cause of the reports running slow and the .tmp files building slower.  It seems like it is slow to access my ISeries database.

I'm running Crystal Server 2013 on Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit.

Thanks,

Kim

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The connections to the CMS and Audit database have nothing to do with how the application connects to the data for the reports.  The BI Platform that's running the Crystal Server software is 64-bit, so it just needs the 64-bit connections.  The pieces of the software that actually run the Crystal 2013 reports are 32-bit, so they require 32-bit ODBC connections in order to get the data for the reports.

-Dell