cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop down Box in Excel planning workbook should pass values to Query variables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

There are variables defined in the Bex query for the Excel planning book. I would like to pass values to this variables from the Planning work book. As of now the drop down box will filter only on the Posted values, MD table and Dimension table.

Is there any way which user can choose values ( Like drill down) and pass values into the variables .

Regards,

Satish M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

no, this is not possible, because after changing a variable, the query would have to read fresh data from the server (make a so called server round trip).

This is all included in calling the variable pop up, change the variable values there and refresh the whole workbook.

This can be done by the yellow button in the menu or you can create a button in the workbook to call the variable pop up.

regards

Cornelia

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got your point. I will probably create a button to call variable pop-up.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sheldon_piao
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

The entered value should at least exist in MD table. If it is not, it will be considered as an invalid value and it is not possible to enter any new transaction data for it either.

Best Regards,
Sheldon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheldon,

I understand that . My issue is not that. User chooses the values from the dropdown (MD table) but is it possible to restricted to certain subset of values.

Ex: if user chooses cost element group = 1 then next drill down cost center should show values related to only cost element group =1 . Same for Cost element group = 2. 

sheldon_piao
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Have you used characteristic relationship in query designer ?

Best Regards,
Sheldon.

cornelia_lezoch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

if you want to have this behaviour for variable - you have to define an exit which changes the values in F4 help - search for this here and in the bex forum, there are several threads about this.

if you want to have this behaviour for filter values inside the workbook, change the settings for the info objects to show filter values according to navigation state - but this will not be good for performance.

regards

Cornelia