cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Replication - Can I stop temporarily?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm designing the system replication.

After setting up system replciation between two HANA systems, can I stop the replication temporarily?

If yes, how can I do?

e.g. When I have to stop the secondary system for maintenance, I want to stop the replication temprarily with keeping the configuration of system replication.

regards,

Noriko

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

deepak_chodha
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Noriko,

There are ways how we have handled system replication for maintainence situations.

What you need to do is:

1. Unregister secondary site from system replication.

2. Please note: don't disable system replication on the primary site. It is still enabled.

3. Once maintainence is done on secondary site, register the secondary site back again to primary site and this time DONOT select the option of Initiate full data shipping.

Once configured system replication will take care of only the delta part which is not available in secondary site rather than bringing complete data set from primary again.

Happy HANA, Deepak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks.

I see.

Please tell me what is 'the delta part'? Log or data shapshot?

And, How does the primary site take care of which delta part is replicated or not?

regards,

Noriko 

deepak_chodha
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Noriko,

When such a continutaion of replication occurs usually persistances are checked for comaptibility. Secondary site actually contains the persistence of the primary at a former time. Re-registered secondary site can be synced with a delta data shipping based on transaction logs, most recent savepoints and snapshots.

Retention time is something which you may would like to consider in such a case. refer to >http://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/0c/d257970d514abd8ddf9ee1f45f3bca/content.htm?f... for more info on paramters for System replication.

Happy HANA, Deepak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks.

I'm sorry, plese tell me the details.

'Persistances' means persistance layer (data files and log files)?

At the initial sysnc time, data files and log files of the both are compared?

'Secondary site actually contains the persistence of the primary' means that the secondary contains data snapshots of the primary ?

As you advised me, I may would like to consider datashipping_snapshot_max_retention_time.

It's because old shapshots are used for checking at the re-sync time (it's the same at the initial sysnc time)?

Regards,

Noriko Shibuya

Bojan-lv-85
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Noriko,

I suppose the "suspend" option is the feature you are looking for. However, please first refer to the documentation available at SAP Landscape Transformation – SAP Help Portal Page

BR, Bojan

deepak_chodha
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan,

He is referring to system replication from HA/DR solution by SAP HANA.

Happy HANA, Deepak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bojan,

Thanks.

But I want to perform stopping temporarily with HANA system replication feature.

I don't want to install an optional software.

regards,

Noriko