Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using db6util to virtualize empty tables

former_member283840
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello;

I want to virtualize empty tables.  I know that I can do that from DB6COCKPIT but that does ALL the empty tables.  I want to only virtualize the empty tables that are in POOLD/I.  This is due to a threshold being close to being reached.  Once virtualized the number of objects will be far below the maximum and I will not have the problem.

I already have selected out the empty tables in POOLD to a file.  What would the code look like to convert these tables?

Thanks for the help.

Len.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leonard ,

Believe  tools other than sapinst/swpm/DBACockpit  are not  supported and not to be used for conversion as the DDIC dictionary also needs to be adjusted .

You can perform a  conversion back from a virtual table though ,Check the following Note

1224865 - DB6: Materialization of virtual tables

Also the following document should help you

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e02a282a-868c-2b10-0e93-da0bb5abf...

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member283840
Participant
0 Kudos

Manu;

Thanks for the response but that is not what I want to do.  This is an established system and due to tablespace constraint limits I need to virtualize EMPTY tables specifically in tablespace POOLD/I.  I have read that document and that applies to DTC at creation or install.  This system has been in place for years.

I am looking to use db6util to do this but don't know what the code would look like.

Thanks for the assist though.

Len.

former_member213250
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jesse
As you know doing virtualisation from DBACOCKPIT for all the empty tables will be lot easy. One shot everything done for you.
If you really want to do for empty tables of a single tablespace, it will be more tedious task to select all of them empty tables.

Below option can be used for moving virtual tables,

db6util -mvt option can be used but I only know for a single table. Not sure how to do for whole bunch of empty objects to VTs  on a single go.

Still I would say best way is to get rid of empty tables via dbacockpit no harm in doing so.

Regards
Venkat

Frank-Martin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Len,

db6util only supports to convert a virtual table to a "normal" empty table not the other way round.

To convert "normal" empty tables to virtual table you need to use DBACOCKPIT.

What is the reason why you do not want to convert all empty table to virtual tables. I am not aware of any riscs caused by this.

Regards

Frank

former_member283840
Participant
0 Kudos

Frank;

The reason I did not want to do all the tables is that there are over 55,000 of them!  I don't like doing anything to the database unless there is a need.  Tablespace POOLD is approaching the maximum object level and that's why I was going to do the empty tables in it.

Are there any drawbacks to converting ALL empty tables into virtual tables if that is what I have to do?

Thanks,

Len.

former_member283840
Participant
0 Kudos

Frank;

Is there any way to be selective when using DBACOCKPIT to perform the conversion from empty tables to virtual tables?  As I stated in my above reply I don't want to do all tables as it is not necessary.

Thanks,

Len.