cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balancing Platform Agents

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear CPSers,

We have two FTP servers providing a resilient FTP service where both are active, but one is "preferred" by a hardware load balancer in front of them. This is achieved by setting the load balancer priority of the preferred server higher than the alternate.  The effect is that the alternate will only be selected if the preferred server goes down or the FTP daemon is stopped on it.

We have Redwood CPS BPA v9 Platform Agents installed on each of the FTP servers.  A queue is configured with both Platform Agent servers defined.  This has the effect of being able to direct jobs that need to run on the FTP servers to one of the servers if either should fail. 

However, I want to configure Redwood so that it has the same preference as the load balancer, and will only select the alternate FTP server if the preferred one is down.  I have checked the Process Server parameters and the Queue configuration, but I can't find a setting that would create the desired behaviour.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set a preference for a particular Process Server when multiple are defined under a single queue?

Regards

Guy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gmblom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Guy,

You can work with the the process server load factors to make the primary take always preference unless it is down.

The other option is to work with only one process server that is connecting to the hardware load balancer which forwards the traffic to the correct server. Now you install an agent on both servers with the same configuration, but the load balancer will make sure the process server is connected to the right agent.

Regards Gerben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having spoken to Gerben, who was able to clarify the effect of the Multiplier etc, and his solution is shown below.

As we don't have access to the load balancers to be able to configure additional ports for the Platform Agents, I would like to pursue the Load Factors option. 

For the preferred ProcessServer

Description: Preferred_Server
Multiplier:     1
Threshold:    90
Monitor Value:  CPUCount

For the alternate ProcessServer

Description: Alternate_Server
Multiplier:     2
Threshold:    75
Monitor Value:  CPUCount

As both servers have the same number of CPUs, the effect is that the "Preferred_Server" will always be selected rather than the alternate, unless it is not available.

Answers (0)