cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for upgrading from ADS 9.1 to ADS 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

So we will need start upgrading installs from Advantage Database Server (ADS) version 9 to ADS version 11. Is there a set of best practices? Certain procedures? How do we gracefully fall back if it doesn't work? Does anyone have experience with the dual install setup of ADS 9 and ADS 11? Did anyone else run into any issues with this upgrade path?

Thanks in advance!

Rodney

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

chrisfranz
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Rodney,

My first recommendation is to read the "Effects of Upgrading" section of the help file. I put the links below.

Effects of Upgrading to Version 10

Effects of Upgrading to Version 11

Effects of Upgrading to Version 11.1

The server will always work with an older client so I would recommend upgrading the server and testing it with your current application. The next step would be to upgrade the client and re-compile your application. I wouldn't anticipate any issues other than those outlined in the effects of upgrading.

You can install multiple instances of Advantage, beginning with version 10, on the same machine. Keep in mind that only one instance, the first one installed, will be discoverable. To connect to other instances you will need to use <IP Address>:<Port> in the connection string. Details on installing additional instances of Advantage are here

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

When performing the upgrade install will it automatically remove all of the version 9 items or will it default to a side by side install?  Do we need to / should do an uninstall first?

Thanks

Rod

Former Member
0 Kudos

It will automatically remove the version 9 components and "upgrade" to the newer version.

Side by side is something special that needs to have some extra items run so it won't affect the existing.

Doing an uninstall / re-install won't hurt, but it shouldn't be needed.  I do usually stop the ADS Service before upgrading so I can make sure it goes down cleanly.