Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Fiori Front-end Server on SAP PI

Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

We are looking at installing a SAP Fiori Front-end server in our landscape and were wondering whether our current SAP PI server would be a possible target ...

I have been looking at the 'requirements' for such a front-end server and that system seems to be a potential candidate ...

We have a SAP Netweaver 7.31 ( dual stack PI system ) which holds already a central hub SAP gateway (2.0 Ehp 9 ) and the SAPUI5 addon - we already have some working UI5 applications on that system as well ... the system is reachable from the outside via reverse proxy, etc ...

As far as I can judge we would only need to install the Fiori UI addon package ... are there any technical or non-technical reasons for not taking this server ( not taking into account that the SAP PI is currently obviously optimized for non-dialog processing - but that's something we could reassess if needed ) ?

Any thoughts are appreciated ...

Kind Regards,

Steven

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos

The architecture of the Fiori front-end server is discussed in the excellent blog from Jochen and he commented on my question in the comments.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steven,

I am currently in the same situation as you described.

Can I check with if you if you were able to successfully implement this solution and bring up the fiori ?

Can you please let me know more details on the technical part ? Did you install the the gateway components(& fiori Add-ons) on the PI server?

Regards,

Prithivi Raj

Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prithivi Raj,

In the end we did not continue with the 'fiori server installation' but we did install SAP gateway and latest UI5 addon ( well version 1.28.x for our release ) and that has been working fine on SAP PI dual stack.

We upgraded both addons already once and we did not encounter any issue PI wise nor was it required to downtime the system ...

Kr,

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Steven,

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Can you please clarify on the below points ?

1."and that has been working fine on SAP PI dual stack" Meaning you installed the front fiori on the existing PI system ? If yes, did you install the gateway components(GW_CORE,SAP IW_FND etc) manually in SAINT?

2. The PI acts as the front end (fiori) and backend as ECC. Am i right if I want to use PI as the FES?

Regards,

Prithivi Raj

Steven_UM
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prithivi Raj,

We did indeed install SAP GW and UI5 addon components to our PI stack - how this was done I am not sure as I am not a SAP Basis guy but I assume it was done using the standard tools.

'Strictly' we are not using the PI as a 'FES' as we are not using the Fiori launchpad nor fiori roles etc ... we are offering however SAPUI5 applications from PI towards our internal landscape and yes we are using SAP gateway on SAP PI to connect to the gateway components on the ECC backends .

As stated in one of the blogs ... using PI as a Fiori Frontend Server would not be recommended although I don't see any technical reason for not doing so ..

Kind Regards,

Steven

Answers (0)