cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2013 SP3 crashing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We installed Crystal Reports 2013 SP3 to all developers and they have been noticing that Crystal is crashing.

It basically crashes on different scenarios and Crystal freezes and shows the error Crystal Stopped Working.

I have gathered different scenarios like:

1. Report was open, doing nothing when getting error crystal stopped working.

2. Report was open, re-titled a column, saved the file click on refresh button to re-run query with same parameters and got the same error

3. Open the report set parameters for the past month to run it and get error not responding.

We have re-installed Crystal on different computers and the same issue persist, even in Citrix we have noticed this as well.

Has anybody seen this behavior and found any solution for this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Updating to the latest Service Pack may not be a bad idea either:

Downloads for SAP Crystal Reports and others

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I go with the latest Service Pack of Crystal Reports even though the BI Platform is on SP3?

Daniel

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek!  I'm sooooo glad to see that there's finally a public download page for Crystal updates!

-Dell

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And I'm back too LOL

Spent last two weeks in Europe fulfilling a promise to my daughter

I just hope the portal stays as there are dark clouds gathering... we'll see.

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That should be fine.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

You can enable tracing for Crystal Reports Designer to check background activities.

Kindly follow the steps suggested in below forum:

http://www.botrainingonline.com/sap-business-objects/how-to-perform-a-trace-in-crystal-reports-desig...

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mahesh,

I will enable the tracing and see what I get.

I did not respond earlier as we re-installed Crystal on a different location (not the default path C:\Program files(x86) ) and looks like it improved a bit, but still we're seeing it's crashing sometimes.

Thanks,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mahesh,

I followed all the instructions to enable tracing, and Crystal stopped working and nothing has been recorded under C:\logging, am I missing something?

Thanks,

Daniel

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Those instructions were for CR 2008. You are using CR 2013. So have a look here:

1603398 - How to use crlogger to trace Crystal Reports?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both links have the same information and that's what I did...

Just to be sure, the system environment variables on windows 7 are under system properties, advanced tab and created New System Variables, right?

Thanks,

Daniel

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe trying out Process Monitor will not be a bad idea:

Process Monitor

See if you can find where the log files re being written to. See if you find any note of errors or Access Denied messages.

Make sure %TEMP% gas read / write permissions.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I finally got some logs, had to change the directory to a location we have access to write...

What are we looking here? I got few lines with Errors

See attachment for example

Thanks,

Daniel

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Daniel

The log says that there was a problem connecting to the database. E.g.; no crash as such. You may want to look at the database logs and see what was happening at the time the report could not connect.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Yes we actually had some database issues, but looks like nothing is written in the logs when the crash happens.

I'm trying to get more logs and I have updated to SP5 to see if that helps as well.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I got new logs, but shows exactly the same as before. The same error lines

But It failed few minutes ago, around 3.10pm and as you see the log the error show at 1.45, so I'm not sure if it's related to database issue.

I'm checking the database logs and show the same error message coming from multiple desktops (which we believe are all the crystal developers, but this probably means that they sometimes use wrong password for that in their report...)

This is what happened this time:

Crystal 2013 SP3

This time it failed when developer was trying to update a command object, it stopped working

Crystal 2013 SP5

In 1 day it stopped working twice (when you have to close crystal completely), and stopped responding multiple times (screen grays our and shows the stop responding)

Thanks,

Daniel