cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Database Error on desktop, but works OK via terminal server

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a client using PCM 7.5.  They usually run PCM using the Model Builder running on the desktop.

Today, all users started to get the error message:

An error has occurred.

Error Code80880021, General Database Error

Details contained in the file -'C:\Windows\system32\PCMError.Log'

However, when the same users access PCM using a PCM client that runs on a terminal server, as a workaround, all is well.  So it looks like the database is in fact OK.

They have since tried to run the desktop PCM client again, and got the error message, so it's not an intermittent fault that happened to correct itself before they tried using the terminal server.

All users in the team are experiencing the same problem, and can use the same workaround.

The desktop client and the terminal server client both access the same application server, and from there the same database server.  So the connection between the app server and the db server seems all right.

The IT department promises me that no network, software or hardware changes have been made recently.

I'm waiting for the client to send me the PCMError.log file.

Meanwhile... does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's indeed a general DB error... but SAP Note 1197850 mentions 4 other notes you could have a look at to troubleshoot and bottom down the issue.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1197850

• 1310573 - PCM: "Failed to connect to the Primary Server. The following error occurred: 80880021 General Database Error (Database error (class ALGSession – Connect) ORA-12541: TNS:no listener)" during PCM Configuration
  • 1626443 - PCM10:Fail to connect to Oracle database when configuring PCMv1064bit
  • 1247442 - PCM: Oracle TNS Listener error "ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor" when attempting to open a PCM model
  • 1355034 - 80004005 Unspecified error when trying to export model structure into an XML file
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jef

Thanks for the reply, and you are right to point me in the direction of the SAP Notes.  However, three of the four Notes appear to be Oracle related - the customer uses SQL Server - and the fourth apparently can appear when exporting to XML, which is not when the error occurs.

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, let's hope there is more info in the PCMError.log file then.

A few more things you can check
- Did you run through the PCM Configuration wizard from scratch?

- Are you using sockets or DCOM communication?
- Is the PCM client version the same locally as on citrix as on the PCM server?
- Did you already log an SAP support ticket on the SAP Service MarketPlace?

- Did you check for any changes/differences in the prerequisite client software (as from the PCM install guide)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help Jef - the IT department re-ran PCM Config for each user, and also restarted the DCOM services. All users are now working properly.

Answers (0)