cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to get session id from handle - CMS tracelog error

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently upgraded from BI Platform 4.0 SP3 to 4.1 SP5.  After the upgrade we have been receiving the following reoccurring error message in the CMS log files.

Guid: 97a35a65-6c6d-ec44-d8fa-622b843931ff

Trace: Error

Severity: Error

DeviceName: cms_[SystemName].CentralManagementServer

Rootname: BIPSDK.ServiceMgr :getManagedService

CalleeName: cms_[SystemName].CentralManagementServer.newService

Text: Failed to get session id from handle and handle is not set to bypass nor server-server discovery

I attempted to  get more information using the guid in query builder but the guid seems too long. All BO servers in the CMC are healthy status and APS servers are split out and tuned.  The overall health of the 4.1 environment is good but the error keeps coming up in the daily logs.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

I'm building a 4.1 SP6 POC environment consisting of 2 x BO App servers and 2 x Tomcat BO Web App servers in a cluster.  This is on Windows Server 2012 R2 with MS SQL Server CMS and Audit databases.

I've also experienced this error and initially thought that the error related to a CMC session timeout.  Basically, I had many windows open on my desktop and was researching a deadlock error in my servers log files.  I noticed a new "Failed to get session id from handle and handle is not set to bypass nor server-server discovery" error in a CMS log file.  Upon going beck to my browser to check my CMC session, I could see a "Session Timeout, Your session has expired", warning message.

I have subsequently left CMC sessions timeout on purpose, but have not been able to align the timeouts with the appearance of the error in my logs.  I am in the process of going through several errors in my new install log files so may open a case with SAP for this specific one.

Thanks,

Dean

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to add that after further testing, some session timeouts do cause the "Failed to get session id....." error messages to appear in the CMS trace log files.  Unfortunately, the production of the error seems to be ad-hoc at best, therefore, no specific conclusions can be drawn.

Probably yet another trace log error that SAP know about, that has no impact on our deployments. but SAP will not "fix".

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are facing the same issue as well...But we have other problems...OLAP Session times out after 25 mins...We are not sure what is causing the timeouts...weather sso is failing or Sqlserver or Datapump is timing out we are Not sure.

We are also in BO 4.1 SP6 level Sql server MSAS database.

Any Help / Ideas is appreciated.

Regards

Partha

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

cedric_sagory
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm getting this error several time on only 1 App Server; this what i don't understand...

i found a KB related to, KB 2545835, but not sure it is the correct resolution. i'm trying..

Does anyone has yet resolved this error ?

My config : Cluster BI 4.2

4 Linux Servers : 2 Tomcat + 2 App BI4 Servers

Version : BI4.2 SP6 Patch 4

LepreuxLoic
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

This trace output has been modified in BOE 4.3 release, it's now a level information and not an error anymore.
We found this state can happen in normal scenario, and it doesn't prevent execution to continue.

I think you can disregard this error unless functional errors are actually encountered.

Best regards,
Loic

cedric_sagory
Discoverer
0 Kudos

thx for comment. I even add authentication service for each AJS. Futhermore reboot machine

Issue is no more on logs.

Sometimes BI Launchpad get a blank page, impossible to access BI4... SAP support don't really help us.. even we get thread dumps.

Do you have any suggestion to find why tomcat hangs like that ?

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am also getting the same error, while opening the Lumira Story in BI4.2 SP2. with lumira 1.30, if any one have any IDEA, please share with us.

Thanks,

Ravi

rajdeep_marathe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

Is Auditing enabled?

Is it working fine without any issues? Check in the Auditing section of CMC.

Regards,
Rajdeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajdeep,

Auditing is enabled and works fine without any issues.

Thanks,

Zach.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

Do you have a web-tier and clustered deployment of SAP BusinessObjects System on your environment ?

Regards,

Emrah.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Emrah,

It's a single node environment, not a clustered BI Platform deployment.  Also, Tomcat is utilized as the web application server along with it's automatically deployed web applications.

Thanks,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you ever find the solution to this problem? Experiencing the same thing myself.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Corey,

I have yet to find a solution.  The tracelog error appears multiple times a day. We didn't see the issue important enough to create a SAP support ticket and eventually ignored the message as it didn't seem to impact the stability or performance of the environment.

Thanks,

Zach

rajdeep_marathe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

Which CMS database version are you using?

Also are there any error messages in the Event Viewer?
Did the CMS crash with the above error messages? or was it just error messages in CMS logs?

Regards,
Rajdeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajdeep,

We're using SQL Server 2008 for the CMS database.

No error messages in the Event Viewer

No CMS crash messages in the Event Viewer or CMS logs.

The "Failed to get session id..." message only appears in the CMS logs

Thanks,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jin-Chong,

I have several other BI4.1 SP5 full installs and patched up 4.1 SP5 install environments and I haven't seen this logging error either.  I think its time to submit a ticket for my client.

Thanks,

Zach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi JinChong,

When originally researching the error I came across the SAP KB2021116 note you mentioned.  However, in our BI Platform 4.1 SP5 environment we don't have Information Steward 4.2 installed or configured on our server or a remote server.

Thanks,

Zach

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also have BI4.1 SP5 FULL installation; not from patch up from any previous version, and I have not seen this "Failed to get session id from handle and handle is not set to bypass nor server-server discovery" error myself in CMS tracing logs.

You might want to point out this difference when you talk to SAP support on this error finding.

Regards,

Jin-Chong

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue is corrected in Information Steward 4.2 SP2.  See SAP KB 2021116 - Loading rule history page hangs - Data Insight 4.2 on http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2021116. Regards, Jin-Chong

former_member230417
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zach,

Are you using Analysis OLAP workspace?

Regards,

Nachiket

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nachiket,

We are not using OLAP workspaces or any OLAP connections.

Thanks,

Zach