cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP CPS Process server notifications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can you please advise how to configure alerts, if a process server goes down.We don't have advanced alerting module.

Thank you,

Chandu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The alternative option is writing a redwood script job that can check the status of process server every few minutes and trigger an email. This is not real time, so there will be a significant delay in knowing the status of the process server.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Nanda.

I hope the below script will be useful for all who don't have active alerting module. The script wil thow an error if any process server is down and can be used to trigger an email.

String query = "select ProcessServer.* from ProcessServer where Name <> 'System'";
String Status1 = "Shutdown";
String Status2 = "PartiallyRunning";
String Status3 = "Connecting";
String Status4 = "Unknown";

for (Iterator it = jcsSession.executeObjectQuery(query, null); it.hasNext();) 

ProcessServer proc = (ProcessServer) it.next();
String ActualStatus = proc.getStatus().name();

if ((Status1.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status2.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status3.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status4.equals(ActualStatus)))
{
jcsOut.println(proc.getName()+" has status "+ ActualStatus);
throw new RuntimeException();

jcsSession.persist(); 

}

Regards,

Chandu

nanda_kumar21
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

instead of throwing exception, you can call the system_mail_send and send the parameters of the process server.

thanks

Nanda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds like a pretty good idea Nanda. Thank you.

Regards,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for submitting this.  I had a task assigned that this was perfect for and once I figured out that this could be pasted in as a new Redwood Job Definition I was in good shape.

I used this as the 1st step of a chain. If the step had an error then I assigned it to continue to the 2nd step.   I tweaked the first script to allow a second status of Running... this way it runs through all of the process servers and creates an output file that can be attached to an email in the 3rd step of the chain with System_Mail_Send.   This way they can see from the attachments which process servers are or are not running (if more than one is down).

{

String query = "select ProcessServer.* from ProcessServer where Name <>

'System'";

String Status1 = "Shutdown";

String Status2 = "PartiallyRunning";

String Status3 = "Connecting";

String Status4 = "Unknown";

String Status5 = "Running";

for (Iterator it = jcsSession.executeObjectQuery(query, null); it.hasNext();)

{

ProcessServer proc = (ProcessServer) it.next();

String ActualStatus = proc.getStatus().name();

if ((Status1.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status2.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status3.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status4.equals(ActualStatus))||(Status5.equals(ActualStatus)))

{

jcsOut.println(proc.getName()+" has status "+ ActualStatus);

}

jcsSession.persist();

}

}

- Don

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using build M33.104 of CPS.

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Thank you for the information. We don't have solution manager in our project. Is there any alternate way to do it.

Regards,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu

Have you enabled the alert module in CPS? - This I believe is a separate licensing requirement

Have a look at this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/81/77ac0a17b0467a8b004a84674a7851/content.htm?frame...

Cheers,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

We don't have a license for Advanced alerting module and our client is not willing to go for it.

Regards,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu

What monitoring tool does your company use currently?

Cheers,

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

We don't have a monitoring tool as we are just building our SAP systems. I have built a notification system for errored or killed jobs in CPS. But I am not sure how to build a notification system, if a process server goes down.

Regards,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu

If this is a greenfield implementation I recommend to install the Solman system first and configure all alerts thru this system as a best practice

You will need SOLMAN if you are an SAP shop and its easier to configure alerts as well, for all your managed systems

Cheers

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun, Thank you. As you said it is good to configure alerts through solman. But as of now we are not planning for solman.

Regards,

Chandu

former_member206885
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Chandu,

If you don't have advanced alerting license,try the configuration suggested by Carpenter from the below link.

Regards,

Tinku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tinku,

As suggested by Carpenter in the link, I followed the below procedure.

For each process server:

Navigate to Monitoring > Monitor Tree, select Edit from the context menu of  /System/Process Servers/My_Process_Server, On the Monitor Events tab, create an event definition for this, severity 75 - rising, have a job definition wait on this event and send an email.

I don't see any monitor events tab where I can configure the event to trigger my email job. Please see below screenshots. Our CPS version is M33.104.

Please advise.

Regards, Chandu

former_member206885
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chandu,

Sorry about that. Might be Carpenter is referring to different Build of CPS.

Regards,

Tinku

gmblom
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The functionality to put events or alerts in the monitor tree also requires the Active Monitoring module.

Regards Gerben