Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding learning sap functional

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have around 8 years of experience in sap abap. I am now thikning to learn a functional area of my own.

I have worked technically with HR,SD,MM and bit FI.

Please suggest me regarding the module which might be a taken as a technical consultant. Also, which module will have more market value now ?

Will it be more effective to learn BI instead of functional area ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My suggestion is to take either SD or MM, whichever you feel more comfortable. BI is also good idea; but it all depends on your interest.

Btw, it is better to make the switch in your current project or in current employer.

Regards,

Rahul

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My suggestion is to take either SD or MM, whichever you feel more comfortable. BI is also good idea; but it all depends on your interest.

Btw, it is better to make the switch in your current project or in current employer.

Regards,

Rahul

0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Thnaks for your response.

Why did youa dvice to make a switch ?

Can you plesae elaborate a bit ? 

Which  will have more market value within SD and MM ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rinki,

Given your experience, I'd suggest you to take up SAP BI.

If you have worked on HR,SD, MM along with ABAP, you must be knowing them really well.

There is a lot of scope in BI & good consultants are very much in demand.

All the best!!!

Warm regards,

Rinku Chauhan

0 Kudos

Hi Rinku, 

Thanks for your advice.

I have worked with SD, MM as a technical so i really do not much depthe knowledge regarding all of them

as function are responsible for the requirement details and we are for developing and some initial testing.

Will you be able to give me bit idea regarding BI ?

Does  BI involves only code or some other details ?

can you provide some initial basic helpful link for the same ? Also BW is similar to BI or there are some differences betwen them. Will BI need less effort to learn than any functional as a technical ?

As i have worked with coding and all those so far so personally i am thinking to learn something which will not involve only code. But again , we need thing about furure prospect and present oppertunity.

Waithing for your response.

With Regards

Rinki

0 Kudos

Hi Rinki,

There are a lot of SD, MM, HR consultants, you being an ABAP consultant who has technical knowledge on these functional modules can easily pick up, should not be difficult for you.

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/b2/e50138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Business Intelligence – SAP Help Portal Page

Check out the given links, I am sure it will help you.

BW is highly In-Demand & would be a very good option for you.

Wishing you the very best Rinki.

Warm regards,

Rinku

VKS
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Rinki,

As you already have around 8 years of experience, You will be having a view about your career very well.

If you ask me, I would suggest you to opt BI or BW.

The Reason behind is that you are technical player. you will be able to pick up easily when it comes to coding and data.

With all globalization is coming into picture, Analytics is going to play a big part in organizational decisions. Now with more consumer centric, We are in a situation to process very large amount of data for deciding a change or solution.

There will be a lot of opportunities if you move into Analytics and for that BI/BW will help a lot. If you really want to move into functional side, Be an Functional Analyst as you will be good with processing data.

Also, As i always tell to my people, Kindly Don't decide based on current Market Demand. Demand may come and go with the technology changes. But just visualize if you choose a career path, How much you can able to perform it better. What are the options to improve and move forward in that career and before switching think what you are going to achieve by this career shift.

Be clear on your decisions. Think and Decide.

With Regards,

Vishnu...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rinki,

I have a counter question before I reply your question.

May I ask you for your educational background and a highlight of your early career path ?

Regards

Chirag

0 Kudos

Hi Rinki,

I can see lot of answer been given to you for your question.

I would say after working for 8 years of experience in sap abap and also HR, MM, SD the most , you should have probably known which is the functional area that attract you more and which is that functional module where you have taken some time to navigate some stuff. However given the fact that you want to switch now to functional from technical, i would say why you want to start from beginning again, try learning some stuff like ABAP-HR, HANA as they will add more value to your career. BI would be good option but probaly you will be landing to work as a BI developer instead of functional.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish