cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical partition on Infocubes

0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

We are in process of migrating our DB from Oracle to BW on HANA DB.

Question 1:

As an preparatory step we have to know what will happen to Physically partitioned Infocubes,

Is it enough if we execute the Transaction: RSMIGRHANADB (or program RSDRI_CONVERT_CUBE_TO_INMEMORY) with the physically partitioned infocube. or is it automatically converted to HANA optimized Infocubes or any special steps to be carried out for the physically partitioned cubes.

Question 2:

I read in some blogs that SPO cubes are automatically converted to HANA optimized.Does it means we need not run the SPO cubes in the transaction RSMIGRHANADB (or program RSDRI_CONVERT_CUBE_TO_INMEMORY) to convert?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

roland_szajko
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Meiyappan

As far i know there is nothing special about already partitioned cubes. However before the conversion i would suggest to apply all notes related to program RSDU_TABLE_CONSISTENCY and also for RSDRI_CONVERT_CUBE_TO_INMEMORY, to have an up to date version of them.

After this use rsdu_table_consistency to check all fact tables in the system, since an inconsistency can cause problems during the conversion.

Regarding the automatic conversion i'm not sure if that's really done, since the conversion program also has an option to convert SPO-s not only normal cubes.

br

Roland

0 Kudos

Hello Roland,

Thanks for your reply.

What i assume with the programs RSDU_TABLE_CONSISTENCY and RSDRI_CONVERT_CUBE_TO_INMEMORY that these are used for all cubes consistency and not specific to partitioned cubes.

So any ways we run the programs as pre check in the system before the migration process.

Am i right in this case?

If yes,then i assume there is no special step required for physically partitioned cubes migration.

With Regards,

Meiyappan

roland_szajko
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Meiyappan

The programs are used for all kinds of objects to be converted to HANA optimized. I'm not sure if you can run those in a non-HANA environment, since the prerequisite for the conversion is that the underlying DB is HANA.

br

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Meiyappan,

Answer to your  questions

1)  When you migrate your system to HANA , System ignores your partition clause at table level.So  your Standard Partition cube at Normal DB after migrating to HANA becomes only Standard Cube. So to migrate it to HANA optimized you have to use RSMIGRHANADB transaction.

2) Which blog you are taking about here? no thats not right.You have to migrate even the SPO to HANA optimized manually.In RSMIGRHANADB transaction you have separate option to migrate the SPO objects.

Hope this helps..

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

0 Kudos

Hello Dinesh,

So I understand that the partition gets deleted after the migration and we have to recreate the partition once again if needed.

First Question:

Will data gets affected if the physical partition is deleted.?

Second Question:

Is it possible to partition if the cube is converted to HANA optimized cube.

Second Question:

Is it really required to partition the cubes after migration,since the performance of the cubes will be increased any ways after HANA migration.

With Regards,

Meiyappan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Meiyappan,

Cubes in BW on HANA can no longer be partitioned,this option will be disabled once you run your BW application on HANA

Answer to your question

1) Data will not get affected

2) No its not possible

3) Its not necessary to partition because of HANA performace.

Please go through the below link to know more

hope this answers your question

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh

0 Kudos

Hello Dinesh,

Thanks for your reply...

My questions are answered.

With Regards,

Meiyappan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sander_vanwilligen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I suggest to move the discussion to space .

Best regards,

Sander