cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

archive_stage command backs up 0 bytes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am backing up a SAP MAXDB instance with 3rd party system (Symantec NetBackup). Version is 7.8.02 on Win 2008 R2. I was backing up logs with archive_stage [keep] command successfully for months.To reduce amount of logs, I ran archive_stage [remove] once. Since then, my log backup is empty regardless of keep/remove use.

autolog_show reports that AUTOSAVE IS ON.

I guess that conditions for autolog backup did not probably occur since the change, thus archive_stage command backs up nothing. Is it possible to launch AUTOSAVE manually? I ran through MAXDB docs but no usable info in it.

See archive_stage output below:

dbmcli on CSP>archive_stage BACKLog zaloha_redology noverify keep

OK

Processed Stage Files   0

Bytes processed         0

Deleted Stage Files     0

Remaining Stage Files   0

Regards

Michal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

When you say "my log backup is empty regardless of keep/remove use" do you mean MaxDB is not performing the Autolog backups regardless the AUTOLOG_SHOW result being AUTOSAVE IS ON (there is no log backups in the directory of your autolog backups?)

Or do you mean that Symantec NetBackup is not archiving the LOG backup files?

I may suggest to:

1) Check again the Backup template for your AutoLog backup (output directory/file);

2) Check the files dbm.prt and dbm.ebl (external backup log) for additional information.

3) Revisit the archive_stage documentation http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_8/45/3f1ce4119d4e689f12dd81abd9e375/content.htm

Regards,

Luis Darui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have reviewed the dbm.ebl file and it reports:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Determining stage files in directory 'd:\backup\logs'.

Found directory entry '.'. It is not a stage file.

Found directory entry '..'. It is not a stage file.

Did not find any stage files.

Nothing to do, no stage files found.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(and the log directory is really empty)

So it looks there is probably some problem on a SAP side. What next, contact SAP admin, or issue some SAP command?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

is there a SAP command to produce a log into archive_stage?

Rgrds

M.

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

What do you see in the dbm.prt file for the same timestamp?
Can you find the autolog backups entries in the dbm.prt file? Are they successful?

I think that MaxDB is really backing up the logs automatically but the logs are being removed by the backup tool.

Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

autolog_save is functional, but the event is very rare, probably due to low activity. In the end, on April 3rd, one autolog was generated by SAP so now archive_stage command backs up 1 stage file.

Thanks for tips.

Regards

Michal

Answers (0)