cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate from Window 32 bit OS to 64 Bit OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to migrate our old legacy system and getting lot of issue.

First  legacy system was developed in VB script and Crystal 8.5. (Almost 13 year ago). It runs on 32 bit OS without any issue. Now the problem is users are getting 64 bit OS laptops and there problem start.

I tried to install and found couple of DLL didn't registered. I manually installed one after another.

When running the program I got Invalid TLV Record error.  I guess this is coming from line: Set objCR = createobject("CrystalRuntime.Application")

I tried to update to Set objCR = createobject("CrystalRuntime.Application.11") , now error is its cant create the object.

Some of the component which installed as part of installer.

1. CRAXDRT.DLL  (Crystal Runtime Library)
  2. CRVIEWER.DLL

C.   CRYSTAL32.OCX

Few of my question, if someone can help.

1. Do I need to update the Crystal component with more compatible with 64 OS, if yes where I can find them?

2. Do I need to update my Crystal rpt file which was originally developed in 8.5

I see error at this line. Not sure if someone can pin point after looking at this junk line..

Set objCrystalReport = objCR.OpenReport(objdom.ChildNodes(2).GetElementsByTagName("TEMPLATEPATH").Item(0).Text & objdom.ChildNodes(2).GetElementsByTagName("FILENAME").Item(0).Text)

Thanks In advance

Lakshman

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

CR 8.5 is not support on any new OS's.

Time to upgrade to .NET.

Only option I can suggest is try setting the EXE properties to run in Compatibility mode.

Could be permissions or simply 32 bit dependencies are not available or the 64 bit OS no longer has 32 version of whatever is missing...

Good luck.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don....Thanks for your input.  Your point is valid to upgrade into .Net, this would be a big change So I am trying if I can get some workaround solution. Example - by registering or copying any Crystal component to support backward compatibility.

Thanks

Lakshman

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshman

Unfortunately, if I had $1000 to bet against this ever working for you with CR 8, I'd bet $999.99.

It really is time to move on...

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting part is It's still working and users are using it on 32bit workstation(No issue).

I have same tool installed on Win 2003 (32 bit OS) server and its print flawless.

So far no luck with 64 bit OS, I am planning to migrate into .Net (4.5) and using Crystal XI components.

Thanks

Lakshman

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I really do not remember if CR 8.5 supported WIN 2003. I know it shipped in 1998(?), so way before WIN 2003, but there may have been a patch that would have supported WIN 2003 - I don't know. There are no legacy patches on any SAP source, so if a patch was the answer, we're not ahead there.

Re:

So far no luck with 64 bit OS, I am planning to migrate into .Net (4.5) and using Crystal XI components.

CR XI does not support NET 4.5. Again, CR XI shipped way before NET 4.5. So, you have two options:

1) Since you mention CR XI components, make sure these are of version 11.5.12.1838. If not, see the following blog on how to get to that version:

Once you have that, you should be able to update your CR 8.5 app to CR 11.5 and this will support WIN 2003 and later. See: Crystal Reports v. 9.1 to SAP Crystal Reports, developer version for Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime...

(The supported OS will apply to RDC as well as .NET - where applicable)

Now, you mention:

Some of the component which installed as part of installer.

1. CRAXDRT.DLL  (Crystal Runtime Library)
  2. CRVIEWER.DLL

C.   CRYSTAL32.OCX

Not sure why one app would be using the RDC (craxdrt.dll + Crviewer.dll) as well as the OCX? It never should have... This is important as as the OCX was retired in CR 8.5 so updating the app to CR 11.5 will do you no good. Updating to CR 11.5 will only work if that app is using the RDC.

2) To use NET 4.5, you will have to download "SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET" from here:

and re-code your app using the CR Assemblies for .NET. Note that you will not be able to update the RDC as there is no craxdrt.dll.

Help files for SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET:

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

More help:

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 Walkthro... | SCN

(Applies to all versions of .NET)

Sample apps:

Crystal Reports for .NET SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

- Ludek

Answers (0)