cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 'Text with Tabs' After Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Users are trying to export data which contain unicode data (eng+japanese) using 'Text with Tabs' Option.

But the data gets scrambled. All Japanese characters are replaced by # or junk characters. The export was fine before upgrade.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Uday

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alichtenau
Advisor
Advisor

Would you please attach a document including a step by step description what is exactly done by you?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see attachment.

alichtenau
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

please check note #2031959.
"Text with Tabs" is not a export to an Excel file. This means export a file as "Text with Tabulators".

Additionally you can check note #1776721. The former description was export as spreadsheet.

You can see that this option only exports a file as textfile that is separated by tabulators. This is no Excel format.

So you have to apply below workaround:

1) Download as "text with tabs" as .txt file
2) Open Excel
3) Open a file in Excel using UTF-8 encoding (see below screenshot)

Best regards,
Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I just tried your work around. It still shows garbage for me. Am I missing something?

alichtenau
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

this is strange.

Is it possible that you create and attach a sample file which I can upload to my local system for reproduction issues?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here you go.

The same thing works fine when exported with Spreadsheet from Non - EHP 7 System. I believe it's related to upgrade.

alichtenau
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

I can see Asian characters. I do not know if they are Japanese. I did below steps:

1. Unzip your attachment
  2. Open Excel
  3. Click "File" > "Open" > choose "SPAD6.txt"
  4. Choose settings as shown in below screenshot

Would you please check that?

Cheers,
Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your replies. Your solution has worked for me.

Fortunately, it does work with *.xls files as well. We just need to open it from the menu.

But if I have a document with characters of multiple origins, then I believe we would need the Unicode to work.

Anyway, as of now, we don't have any such scenario. If I find such a case, I'll let you know. I've created a document with your work-around. In case you or anyone else find it useful, I'm attaching it here.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Uday

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

alichtenau
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Uday,

did you already check note #2122899 and try to apply the recommendation?

Best regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've checked the note, it still doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Uday