cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue while Maintaining Dimension Members

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have upgraded my MS Office from 2010 to 2013. Below is the screen shot of my MS office version.

Now issue is I am not able to maintain dimension members. Every time we click on a "Maintain Dimension Members" nothing happens. It was working fine while I had 2010. We are at the latest service pack (BPC MS10.0 SP16).

Not able to figure out what is the issue as I don't get any errors.

Any Idea?

Thanks,

Charly

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

After a lot of struggle, we found out that the issue is fixed if the server version is SP18 (SAP advised on this).

Regards,

David

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Any solution to this?

The client has decided to upgrade to Excel 2013 but the admin client doesn't allow us to maintain dimension members.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had similar issues reported from other customers lately but we haven't been able to identify why this happens.

We are currently investigating this and we will make an announcement once we know more.

Stefan

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Charly,

We are facing the same issue. We then had to go back to Excel 2010. Excel 2013 for some reason doesn't allow us to Maintain dimension members.

JohnL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Charly / David,

Please review Note 2040480 - Limitation of maintaining dimension member in BPC Administration

[Workaround]

To avoid this issue, users should close Microsoft Excel before managing the dimension member in SAP Business Planning and Consolidation for Administration client.

If the issue persists:

1. Close BPC Admin

2. Open Windows task manager and end all Excel.exe processes

3. Open Excel, )standalone) to see if there is a prompt or user action. (usually an error stating that Excel crashed due a plugin/error, Do you want to disable this plugin Yes or No)

4. Click no the prompt (or yes depending on the message).

5. Re-open BPC Admin and try to maintain dimension members

Does that work for you?

I have been successful in using Excel 2013 with BPC 10 to maintain dimension members.

Thanks,

former_member196865
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

I remember trying that before but to no avail. The issues seems to be with the last few EPM versions. Which version are you on?

Further, the document suggests that the issue may arise in Excel 2010 as well but I am able to maintain dimensions without closing Excel 2010.

A solution would be good as this might lead to problems if and when the client upgrades to office 2013.

JohnL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I tried with Windows 8 / Excel 2013 32-bit / EPM Add-In SP21 Patch 1 / BPC Server SP 16

With Windows 8, I noticed when you click the Maintain Dimension Members button another Excel window opens up but it can be ignored and you can update the dimension members / add new members safely in the Admin console.

Thanks,

John

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Charly,

which EPM sp have you installed?

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is my EPM addin info Roberto. I can login through the EPM, run reports and all.

Only issue is in Admin Client I am not able to Maintain Dimension.

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you found some message in tbllogs or in your privatepubblications log?

If you have an old extension for the dimension file (xls) try please changing it with the new and see if it works.

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Roberto.

Private publication log is Application specific I mean I can only check the log for specific application like Finanace, CAPEX etc..(I may be wrong) but here the issue is in Admin client, How do i check the privatepublication log for Admin client?

All the dimension file extension are .xlsx but see the screen shot below for example, I have multiple files of each dimensions in the backend and I don't know why. Is this what the issse is?

Thanks,

Charly.

former_member186498
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Charly,

yes sorry I normally ask for both but in this case only tbllogs could contains a message error. Did you check it?

Ok for the extension, I don't think that a duplication of the dimension files could cause issues but you can try renaming the not needed files, check also the appinfo.zip in privatepubblications to be sure that the downloaded files are Account.xsls, etc and not Account(1).xsls.

There are very different in file length, are you sure that the good one Account isn't a corrupted file? Try exporting the dimension(s) it recereates the new dimension files with the actual contents, otherwise open an incident to SAP for office 2013.

Regards

Roberto 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Charly,

Please refresh the file association in your client system for Excel files to be opened with Excel 2013.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards,

Hamda.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hamada,

Can you please elaborate  this please? When you say client machine you mean my Admin Client? Or my local computer?

Thanks,

Charly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Charly,

In the administration console you are able to create a member access profile in the security involving the dimensions / Members of your choice and set them to read only and then assign the specific users to this chosen policy.

Kindest Regards,

Hamda.