cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPJVM with SUM

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I just completed patching SAPJVM from 4.1.016 to  4.1.048 using the SUM tools. When I check the user environment, the environment is still points to 4.1.016. (I have login and re-login as sidadm)

echo $JAVA_HOME

/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm/sunx86_64/sapjvm_4.1.016/sapjvm_4

java -version

java version "1.4.2_32"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 4.1.016)

SAP Java Server VM (build 4.1.016 19.1-b02, Jan  2 2012 22:15:46 - 41_REL - optU - solaris amd64 - 6 - bas2:164914 (mixed mode))

more summanifest.mf

Manifest-Version: 1.0

keyname: SUM

keyvendor: sap.com

keylocation: SAP AG

compilation mode: UNICODE

compiled for: 64 BIT

release: 1.0

support package: 12

patch number: 3

native branch: lmt_008

java branch: lmtj_008_REL

assembly time: 2015-01-08 05:30:37

pack version: 28

pack tool version: 1.044

Q: Do I need to change the user environment manually? A bit weird as when I did a JVM switch, the user environment change automatically.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You may read this SAP note.

1691084 - Modifying JAVA_HOME after update of SAPJVM 4 with SUM

Software Update Manager (SUM) SP05 and higher updates SAPJVM 4 on SAP NetWeaver release 7.0 based systems.

After the update, the value of the JAVA_HOME environment variable must be manually adjusted on system instances that have SAPJVM 4 installed. This must be done so that standalone Java server tools can use the latest JVM version. Java standalone server tools exist only on central instances, thus the update of JAVA_HOME is required only at these instances.

RB

0 Kudos

Thanks Benjamin

Was hopping there will be a prompt after the completion of the SUM to change the environment variable.

One follow-up question. There is one instance where I perform the SAPJVM switch directly to level 48. So, the changes in the environment variable is automatically set as:

jstartup/vm/home parameter value =/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS20/exe/sapjvm_4

JAVA_HOME=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm/sunx86_64/sapjvm_4.1.048/sapjvm_4;

On another instance, I have to patch up from 16 to 48. So, the jstartup/vm/home value is =/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe/sapjvm_4 and based on the note 1691084. I have to change the JAVA_HOME manually, similar to jstartup/vm/home value.

What I noticed is the inconsistency on the JAVA_HOME value in the .j2eeenv(_host).(c)sh file.

My question, what should be the standard path for the JAVA_HOME?

Thanks in advance

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The concept of kernel replication from the central repository identified by DIR_CT_RUN  to the local executable location identified by DIR_EXECUTABLE applies to the SAP JVM files as well.

The SAP JVM files are stored (central repository) in the DIR_CT_SAPJVM location (Eg: /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm/sunx86_64/sapjvm_4.1.048/sapjvm_4) and the sapcpe program copies them to the DIR_SAPJVM location (Eg: /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS20/exe/sapjvm_4).

When the instance is started the sapcpe program replicates the kernel files from the DIR_CT_RUN location to the DIR_EXECUTABLE location and the SAP JVM files from the DIR_CT_SAPJVM location to the DIR_SAPJVM location. The instance is started when the replication has been completed. The jstartup/vm/home parameter should be pointing to the DIR_SAPJVM location as it is instance specific. The JAVA_HOME should be equal to the DIR_CT_SAPJVM which is basically /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm/sunx86_64/sapjvm_4.1.048/sapjvm_4. You only need to modify the JAVA_HOME environment variable of the <SID>adm user if there is a Java stack.

RB

0 Kudos

I don't get it Benjamin. You're talking about the replication process, which I dont have problem .

The things that I want to highlight is the two different enviroment setting between JVM switch tool and SUM tool for the JAVA_HOME enviroment on the <sid>adm user profile.

1. JVM switch - JAVA_HOME=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm/sunx86_64/sapjvm_4.1.048/sapjvm_4;

2. SUM (based on note) - JAVA_HOME = jstartup/vm/home parameter value = /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS20/exe/sapjvm_4

Which one should I used for JAVA_HOME?

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I gave you a detailed answer in my previous reply. In our systems I noticed that the JAVA_HOME is pointing to the /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/jvm location and it appears to me that the switch tool might have set it and not to the instance specific location which is /usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS20/exe/sapjvm_4. But according to the SAP note 1611326 - Patching the SAP JVM 4.1 manually for NetWeaver 2004 and 7.0 the The JAVA_HOME should be set to the value of jstartup/vm/home.

I wouldn't bother to change the JAVA_HOME environment variable of the <SID>adm user on the system to the instance specific as there is only one OS user but there can be multiple instances (like CI and AS).

Cheers

RB

Answers (0)